Twin Immersion Boiler Stopped Working :(

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's fused from a wall switch that has a light on it, means its good.
Awww man, why've you guys just let me spend £500 on an MFT when the FCU neon is all anyone ever needs. This place is really starting to get my back up, do you guys know anything about electrics?!  :slap

Also, and this just might be me, but if both immersions went off at exactly the same time (which as I understand is the case here) I'd be inclined to think the problem was further back in the system. For example, if a room of 30 computers goes off at work, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that 30 power supplies had all blown at the same time - I'd probably start at the breaker. In your case, I'd probably be investigating the controller if it controls both immersions.

The bottom immersion heater wasn't working when I moved in even though the timer was on.

I had to use the boost to warm up the water.

He got a multimeter, He is under the impression he now knows more than a forum of electricians. Don't think your feeble attempt at logic and sense is going to register on his higher intellect scale.
He's already wasted the cost (and time waiting for them) of 2 new thermostats, that could have gone towards paying an electrician to fix it.

Still he's happy having cold showers while he persists in trying.

Not to mention spending more than necessary on peak rate electricity where he could have been jeating most of the hot water on off peak if he had fixed the bottom heater fault sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like I am being a dick but tbh I would say exactly the same thing to anyone else, friends and family included, just stop p****** around with it trying to save money as you have already wasted more than it would have cost to fix it properly.

I've rang several 'electricians', some don't even answer and when they do they don't deal with electric boilers.They say call a heating engineer. I'm sure an electrician can fix it going by all your recommendations?

I'm in Birmingham B5 postcode so would appreciate any recommendations for electricians you may know.

I've rang several 'electricians', some don't even answer and when they do they don't deal with electric boilers.They say call a heating engineer. I'm sure an electrician can fix it going by all your recommendations?

I'm in Birmingham B5 postcode so would appreciate any recommendations for electricians you may know.
May be a better idea to post a 'Electrician needed in Birmingham' type thread to get noticed more. You are doing the right thing.

Good luck.

I cover Birmingham B5, bloody hell, the way the past month has gone there's not many postcodes I don't cover,   :|

But, there will be someone closer than me, and cheaper I'd suspect. 

Tried a couple of places again. No answer. No call back. No responses to my texts apart from one who said he was away for 2 weeks :/

Tried a couple of places again. No answer. No call back. No responses to my texts apart from one who said he was away for 2 weeks :/
That might be your problem.

I HATE people who send an enquiry by text, mainly because I hate trying to type a meaningful reply by text on a crappy mobile phone.

If you want a better response, pick up the phone, dial a number and SPEAK to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just in case you guys were wondering if I'm dead, I managed to get an electrician to come on Saturday. Simply tested it and the timer unit had gone so he put in one wire which enabled it to be directly run from the wall switch. He was a nice guy so didn't mind paying him. 

I've returned the stats and now need to buy a new hortsmann timer. Expected them to have lasted a lot longer.

Just in case you guys were wondering if I'm dead, I managed to get an electrician to come on Saturday. Simply tested it and the timer unit had gone so he put in one wire which enabled it to be directly run from the wall switch. He was a nice guy so didn't mind paying him. 

I've returned the stats and now need to buy a new hortsmann timer. Expected them to have lasted a lot longer.
"He was a nice guy so didn't mind paying him. ,"

Classic. Haha. 

Latest posts