Two 100A incomers , so two Current Transformers ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That had crossed my mind too, there would be a danger if not the same phase of 440v kicking about in the domestic environment.
True. It should be labelled if two phases, but why are there two incommers?
Just wondering if it's perhaps a rural overhead location and they needed to share the load.
If it is, what does that do to monitoring the load current via the neutral? I should be able to work it out but an old age mental block has stepped in. It must be carrying the sum of the two phases but ??

almost always is a single phase supply with 2x fuses. its also posible that its either 2 phases from a 3 phase or 2 phase from a split phase. measuring the neutral in either of those wont give accurate readings, but would work fine if the same phase

still see the odd one but most are now a single meter with 2 outputs

and then there are those with the really old mechanical timer for the off peak, which is completely out of sync and gives cheap leccy through the day etc
Were they the ones where there was a dissimilarity of metals in the meter seal and locating lug, and the seals just sort of fell off?😂😉

Asking for a friend

almost always is a single phase supply with 2x fuses. its also posible that its either 2 phases from a 3 phase or 2 phase from a split phase. measuring the neutral in either of those wont give accurate readings, but would work fine if the same phase

Agree 100% with the first, but not so sure about the bit in bold....

It would of course allow the solar/battery system to co-ordinate its output witth the loads in use in the property, but anything consumed for the 'other supply' has to flow through a sepatate current coil on the meter, I'm guessing its a 3ph meter with L1 and L3 used. I'm not sure of the workings of them but I very much doubt it would allow the import on L1 to cancel out the export on L3

If he has two separate supplies, then surely the solar/battery would only supply the one it was connected to and not the other?

Good point Ronski, but I would have thought the total grid draw would be important for the inverter to know ?

Or maybe that would confuse the Inverter into discharging the battery more than it needs to satisfy the house CU demand ?

I think that the battery only supplying the house CU is not a problem for me.

The Storage Radiator CU is only powered during the Off-Peak periods, and the radiators are only switched on in the winter.

The afternoon Off-Peak period (and PV) is sometimes used to charge the PHEV, and sometimes the washing machine, and sometimes the dishwasher.

The overnight Off-Peak is sometimes used for the dishwasher and PHEV.

Our hot water demand isn't huge, so powering the immersion is from the grid/PV during the afternoon Off-Peak Period.

So the PV, Off-Peak, and Battery equation is complicated.