Type D MCB for lighting circuit?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cadspark

Reaction score
I've just installed a big chandelier fitting with twenty 12 volt halogen capsule lamps. It has a toroidal transfomer built into the fitting. It's in a chapel conversion and fed on a dedicated radial in 1.5mm. It's currently on a 6 amp Hager type B which trips frequently. The instructions that came with the fitting actually recommend a type D. Has anyone come across anything like this before as I know type C is recommended where halogen spots are used but I've not used type D on a domestic before?

How will a thermistor stop a B breaker from tripping on inrush surge ?
Higher resistance at low temperature, should slow down the surge.

But I'm probably wrong... :pray

You need to check the Zs chart before fitting C or D types . If that were a problem and as its a Hager, you could fit a HRC fuse carrier in place of the MCB . Hager are about the only ones who make those.

I did it at a small print works last year, the summer heat pushed the thermal limits of the MCBs up , plus they were all touching each other on a dinrail, so replaced them with some Hager 10A HRC flip out carriers.

I'm guessing the problem is the transformer inrush current.

Can anybody explain why an NTC thermistor would NOT work in this situation? I would have thought that one would have been fitted by the manufacturer automatically.

I must be missing something here?

I've ordered up a type D and the circuit is within limits with regards to the Zs. I was just suprised to see a manufacturer suggesting it. The chandelier in question looks stunning but required a scaffold tower to install. Don't know how the client will get on when the bulbs start to blow.

Can anybody explain why an NTC thermistor would NOT work in this situation? I would have thought that one would have been fitted by the manufacturer automatically.I must be missing something here?
A ntc would limit the inrush, though its probably easier to just select a breaker suitable for the level of inrush

Not an issue mate as curve is for L-E fault as far as Zs is concerned.

L-N fault is overload, curve not involved for this as far as 7671 is concerned.

My quotes are a hint!

BTW then, what is the disconnection time required under 7671 for an overload fault, NOT any L-E faults of ANY description.

ONLY true overcurrent faults, i.e as Andy says L-N "faults".

Anyone?

BTW then, what is the disconnection time required under 7671 for an overload fault, NOT any L-E faults of ANY description.ONLY true overcurrent faults, i.e as Andy says L-N "faults".

Anyone?
BS 7671 places no time on over current, other than to say it needs to be interrupted within a time so that the cable max temp is not exceeded, saying that the k factors in the regs are for upto 5 secs disconnection, so this tends to set a upper limit of 5 secs, though other k values may be used beyond 5 secs.