Typical Kitchen?!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmybobbob

Reaction score
Carried out first fix on a new kitchen (new ammend3 board & upgrade bonding etc)

Didn't have a detailed drawing to work of just a piece of A3 with very limited information (no change there then)..no up-stands just being TILED

Carry out first fix ready for plasterer to skim up...

Go back to second fix and what do I immediately see....WOODEN (MDF) splash back from work top to wall units

Despite having to use long screws.....the gap between the metal k/o box and the accessory has a void containing combustible material (MDF Splash back)and I remember not so long ago looking at an article with various remedies but as per for the life of me i cant find it (had a picture and very detailed) 

Any help appreciated, I should also mention that they are flat plate screw less accessories

cheers

hmmmmm.....not to be ungrateful but i don't think they will cut it (unless i actually tried one) with them being flat plate its very limited...or would the putty 1 if trimmed right up against the face of the splash back satisfy?

Non of the sockets are on stud walls either and at best the smallest gap is about 20-25mm i think the MDF is about 9mm thick (roughly)

Last edited by a moderator:
No probs just trying to think of options for you.

The putty you could trim round the mdf &  inside the backbox.

I did look at the extension boxes however they would have to be knob on to the back of the plate to be effective right? Appreciate all the ideas please keep them coming....would fire retardant paint or sealer pass muster or not do you think. Maybe the fire putty original suggested is the only answer....oooooooooooor what about.... (alot of messing around) cutting the back of dry lining boxes and fit them in somehow up to the k/o box....wouldn't then get the flat plates flush tho :(

If the gap between surface and backbox is 25mm cant you fit another metal backbox on to it?(was going to say replace with deeper box but im assuming will be a nightmare removing the one thats there) If not use intumescent sealent to fill the gap and apply some to the mdf.

Kieron

Hmmmmm Ok and what do you think the kitchen fitter will say to that....some fitters will work with you,had it at times where key hole surgery is required....very testing

-get a variation

-fit protruding box extenders,

-draw round them with a Sharpie

-slitting disc to size

-file edges free from burrs

-cold galv spray damaged edges

-worry about where the knockouts have left a semi-circle unprotected  :lol:

I got my last lot from U K Electrical as above.

Not sure who supplies the "cardboard socket packers" found here:

Photo0133.JPG

default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

I think those packers are Mutac ones!

Very very old Sparks will know what I mean, as will Deke
Very likely. Just down the road from the picture in post #15 I took out the unit that's my avatar picture. Directly below, under the floor was the original moulded "egg box" packaging it came in. Most stuff like that I'd bin but I put it back in the box and kept it!

Also got a vintage cu a while back from a proper "lost in time" place as in it was still in use up until then. I think it's cast iron. LFB would love it!  :lol:   

Very likely. Just down the road from the picture in post #15 I took out the unit that's my avatar picture. Directly below, under the floor was the original moulded "egg box" packaging it came in. Most stuff like that I'd bin but I put it back in the box and kept it!

Also got a vintage cu a while back from a proper "lost in time" place as in it was still in use up until then. I think it's cast iron. LFB would love it! :lol:
Pictures please! :)

There is a house near me....i condemned the electrics years ago,BUT they will not do anything about it

It is mainly original

Glass fronted double pole oak fuseboards

Deathnwish fuses with the wire on the OUTSIDE of the porcelain

Doublle ganged single pole switches as an isolator.....brass covers and linked with a mahogany turned bar

Double pole fusing with the fuse holders resembling blanked off pot ceiling roses

All,as adodgy as a 70s TV personality