Universal Motor From Washing Machine

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revjames

'funny' man™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bloke brought a motor in from his machine and asked me to test it for him. He wasnt sure of the connections and wanted it powering up to see if the problem was in the motor or controller.

Anyway, had a look at it and there are 5 connections on it plus 2 which go to a tacho.....

Anyone know how to connect it?

yer, connect that one to the live {?} and then put the other one on the neutral,

I dont think it needs an earth, it should be ok without one as long as you put it on a block of blu-tak to test it.

If that's a modern series wound motor then you DON'T want to be running it at 230V with NO LOAD or it may/will overspeed. What motor is it? Older ones were induction jobbies but the newer stuff has flashy speed control stuff......guessing it's the modern type because of the tacho take off. 

PM me your email as I can send you something that should help.

My boss tried connecting it and it popped the fuses. The machine is 12 years old so dont think its worth too much of a faff as a new one is only £200.

Thanks for the replies - useful and the sarcastic.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Avoid washing machine motors like the plague. They're notoriously complex because of being multiple speed and bi directional. It's also not uncommon for them to be fed via a small PLC and inverter and to have tachometer control or miltistage centrifugal switches. 

on that note,

anyone recommend a good type of motor to power a mangle?  :C
A lot of home brew cable strippers have a shaft coming off to attach a cordless drill. Or what about a dirt cheap mains drill?

A lot of home brew cable strippers have a shaft coming off to attach a cordless drill. Or what about a dirt cheap mains drill?
good thinking batman, I have an old ryobi with a shot sds chuck lying in the garage,

I dont think most cordless would have the guts to run this, I could wind it off a bit I suppose to make it easier.....

Didn't realise people still used mangles, I thought they went out of fashion decades ago when washing machines started having a spin cycle.
I cant be doing with all that new fangled technology,

next thing you will be trying to tell me telephones dont need wires anymore either.  :C

good thinking batman, I have an old ryobi with a shot sds chuck lying in the garage,

I dont think most cordless would have the guts to run this, I could wind it off a bit I suppose to make it easier.....
Until one day he reversed the drill and got a whack in the nads!!! Loads of vids on Youtube for homemade wire strippers, some nothing more than a couple of Stanley blades set in a lump of timber. Was reading somewhere that old copier rollers are a good starting point...........................

https://www.youtube.com/embed/BEHG3f0QI7s?feature=oembed