USB outlets in sockets

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But on EICR, or additions to a circuit that already has USB's scattered around I would do 500v L->E, N->E (or L+N->E). Then L->N @ 250v.

Doc H 

When carrying out periodic inspection and testing why test between live conductors at all? I always agree this as a limitation beforehand. It just wouldn't be feasible otherwise. If I go around disconnecting loads everywhere there is a chance I would introduce a fault reconnecting them, or in the case of appliances unplugged and lamps removed it's simply far too slow to be disconnecting all of them.

To me insulation testing between live conductors is really only relevant to initial verification.

I recommend to clients who ask for them, that they keep the plug in type - so they can be switched off or unplugged.

When people realise that they can't be switched off or isolated they seem to have 2nd thoughts.

Back to the testing so using the Wago suggestion above, you would (obviously) need to retest the continuity after the USB sockets are fitted .....................

I fit USB socket outlets when requested, but I never recommend them.

Latest posts