Van electrics

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drakey

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Ive put 230v power in the back of my van via a 500w inverter to feed a multi socket lead to charge up drill batteries etc while on the move.

Will the fact that the power comes from a 12v battery to an inverter to a transformer in the battery charger do any harm to the batteries as they are not cheap (makita 18v li-ion).

Any info would be appriciated

Cheers,

Tim

Not sure bud but I do know that shop front / signage firms have a similar set up in there vans for charging there batteries up as mostly they work nights and can't gain access the shop for power

I did it in my old van with no problem. I fitted an illuminated switch in the cab to power the inverter as it can really sap the vehicle battery if left on. It could have been wired through an ignition controlled relay but occasionally it would be used when parked up

I did it in my old van with no problem. I fitted an illuminated switch in the cab to power the inverter as it can really sap the vehicle battery if left on. It could have been wired through an ignition controlled relay but occasionally it would be used when parked up
i use a 90 minute timer.

Thanks for the replys,

Mine is set up with an fcu in the front so i can isolate the back when i want as i also have a few subs in the back (yeah yeah i no) as well as the inverter.

If it's one of those 'modified sine wave' inverters that's often sold as a camping inverter then it might not play nicely with the electronics in the battery charger. It might be money well spent to use a pure sine inverter. It's doubtful the battery charger has a transformer as such, it's probably a switch mode charger with some intelligence built in to it.

Latest posts