Van roofbars and rear window grills, plylining kits etc

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lead-Laddie

Reaction score
Most of us know how expensive it can be when a new van arrives, kitting it pout with ply lining roof bars security grills etc. So it's no surprise that we all would try to do these things as economically as is realistically possible.

In many cases that will mean buying on the internet and almost everyone will take a look at ebay too.

II had to recently order rear window grills for my Peugeot Partner and these go for as much as

OSRD-grill.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
your moaning over the grill having slightly reduced vision? i would hate to see you attempt driving something a little larger with no back windows at all and just mirrors on the sides....

I was going to comment along the same lines as andy.... most vans dont have any rear visibility at all, Not sure I see the issue in a few missing punchouts in the grills you have

I was going to comment along the same lines as andy.... most vans don't have any rear visibility at all, Not sure I see the issue in a few missing punchouts in the grills you have
Or a rear view mirror for that matter. But why do some of these vans with a fully blacked out rear screen(s) and no internal mirror, still have a rear wiper fitted? Is it honestly cheaper than just putting a plug into the bodywork hole where the wiper should fit? Back on topic this issue of paying to return items to some e-bay sellers is not an uncommon problem, but to my understanding, not illegal or against any e-bay rules providing the sellers have it written with their general T&C's and product description info. I have also heard of issues where the buyer is still liable for the product whilst in transit until it is returned to the seller. So a buyer could purchase a defective product and if it goes missing on the return to the seller they have no grounds for any compensation! The old phrase ' buyer beware' comes to mind, always read the small print. It is some loophole in the Distance Selling laws to do with private individuals compared to commercial enterprises.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or a rear view mirror for that matter. But why do some of these vans with a fully blacked out rear screen(s) and no internal mirror, still have a rear wiper fitted? Is it honestly cheaper than just putting a plug into the bodywork hole where the wiper should fit? Back on topic this issue of paying to return items to some e-bay sellers is not an uncommon problem, but to my understanding, not illegal or against any e-bay rules providing the sellers have it written with their general T&C's and product description info. I have also heard of issues where the buyer is still liable for the product whilst in transit until it is returned to the seller. So a buyer could purchase a defective product and if it goes missing on the return to the seller they have no grounds for any compensation! The old phrase ' buyer beware' comes to mind, always reads the small print. It is some loophole in the Distance Selling laws to do with private individuals compared to commercial enterprises.Doc H.
I point blank do not use e-bay any longer, or gumtree or paypal either, all the same firm AFAIAA ,

loopholes galore from what I have experienced.

if these sort of practices were used on the high street there would be almost civil war.

why didnt you just go to vanliners?only up the road in Bolton,

reasonable prices and they will adapt stuff for your specific needs, free fitting while you wait too. :)
I thought they were a bit expensive. The product I bought would be the same but I saved even taking the P&P into account.

Van Liners are excellent at what they do there's no doubt about that and yes they are here in Bolton, I've bee there.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:12 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:10 ----------

Psonally I wouldn't have fitted grills,,, I would have used some solid ones, stop the scrotes from even seeing in:| Unless your van is empty that is;)
But I am clumsy by nature and wanted to see out of the rear windows so grills are the next best option.---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:21 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:12 ----------

I was once of the same opinion, but I am still careful who I buy from and when things have gone well, I try to buy from the same sellers. I have to say that most people even individuals are honest and trustworthy and very ethical. It's just a few greedy ones on there make it a bad experience.

I prefer to use ebay for difficult to locate items. I mean for example I needed to buy a weather seal for a CCTV housing but the manufacturer wanted the same amount I buy a new housing for just the seal. I searched everywhere for O ring cord and only found it on ebay. It took about 1 meter of cord but it saved me a whole lot of time looking around and the cost of a new camera housing(maintenance contract)

I never use ebay as a first option unless I know the seller from buying before.

I think it's a little harsh to come here as a new member posting negative reviews. You are complaining about something you personally never even noticed, and then moaning because you had to pay return postage, despite the seller saying you would have to. Even under your 7 day cooling off period, returns remain your cost.

Maybe go and post an introduction?

I think your comment is more about your ego than my driving skills.
if your not capable of driving without a rear view mirror, then you should use the bus

dont forget what you just said either

But I am clumsy by nature and wanted to see out of the rear windows so grills are the next best option.

I think it's a little harsh to come here as a new member posting negative reviews. You are complaining about something you personally never even noticed, and then moaning because you had to pay return postage, despite the seller saying you would have to. Even under your 7 day cooling off period, returns remain your cost. Maybe go and post an introduction?
I now have another set of grills and notice a significant difference (improvement) in the rear-view I have now.

It doesn't absolve the seller of their responsibility to take reasonable care not to send out defective or imperfect goods or do you like to receive defective goods and pay to return them when you have no control over what you are sent?

You really are extremely judgemental aren't you.

You were wrong, I was not complaining to anyone here, I was merely reporting the facts as I saw them.

Thanks for the advice, I may introduce myself, but don't hold your breath while you wait or you'll end up blue. :Salute

Or a rear view mirror for that matter. But why do some of these vans with a fully blacked out rear screen(s) and no internal mirror, still have a rear wiper fitted? Is it honestly cheaper than just putting a plug into the bodywork hole where the wiper should fit? Back on topic this issue of paying to return items to some e-bay sellers is not an uncommon problem, but to my understanding, not illegal or against any e-bay rules providing the sellers have it written with their general T&C's and product description info. I have also heard of issues where the buyer is still liable for the product whilst in transit until it is returned to the seller. So a buyer could purchase a defective product and if it goes missing on the return to the seller they have no grounds for any compensation! The old phrase ' buyer beware' comes to mind, always read the small print. It is some loophole in the Distance Selling laws to do with private individuals compared to commercial enterprises.Doc H.
I must have missed this post on my previous visits. I think the solid rear doors are simply added solid screens probably, and there is no point in removing the rear wipers. Why bother? Returning faulty goods to any seller ebay or otherways, is the buyer's responsibility unless the seller has sent out faulty of imperfect goods. I.e.the fault oe imperfection existed at the time of delivery. This represents IMHO a failure on behalf of the seller to execute their duty to take reasonable care to ensure they send out goods that will have to be returned. If they do they are delinquent in their responsibility and can be reckless in this regard because they expect the buyer to foot the bill. They cannot visit their recklessness on the buyer their terms and conditions aren't worth the paper they are written on even if you agreed to them.

I do not seek compensation of any kind, merely the return of my out-of-pocket expenses which I had no control over. It is reasonable that the buyer pay return fees if the goods arrive in good condition. This is because they knew what the T&C were and chose to trade remotely. their choice within their own control. BUt that doesn't mean the seller can act irresponsibly causing the buyer to suffer expense.

As for the buyer being responsible for goods whist in transit this is the LAW. The buyer returning goods for a refund or anything else has a duty to ensure the goods are preserved in transit i.e. to insure them to their full value. Tis money could be claimed back from the seller if the seller has been negligent.

Caveat Emptor buyer beware, is a prolific phrase. This is a reason I like dealing with known sellers. In most cases it is not the seller' fault when things go wrong, but the seller's attitude towards a solution is what will either satisfy me or fill me with revile for that trader.

I if am treated appallingly, I want nothing more to do with the trader, which is why I try to make a test purchase first from remote sellers.

In this instance I was lucky because I intended to buy a roof bars and ladder clamps, ladder slide and a conduit tube also. Now I can buy these elsewhere without feeling sick that I have to deal with this seller if anything else went wrong. There are lots of companies with a good attitude out there who deserve our business.

Thanks for your response it was quite unjudgmental and on topic. Some here can't manage not to wander off at a tangent

When it suits me, I am a private individual when it doesn't I'm not. NEVER buy from a seller that imposes a status on you before doing business with them, they have a motive for doing that and it's usually not in your favour.

Latest posts