Very thirsty Samsung fridge / freezer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJay

Reaction score
With all the crazy price increases going on, we’re looking at everything in the house and trying to see what’s eating the 6000kwh we consume every year.
We have a very old Samsung American style fridge freezer thats probably nearly 20 yrs old that’s never given us any trouble. it has no energy ratings on the back but only a sticker with the model number (RS21NCMS) and the serial number. When I searched for the model number, all I could find is that it consumes 280w.
When I entered that into an online energy calculator, I was horrified to find that it consumes 2452kwh per year - a significant chunk of our 6000kwh.
Is this right? All I have is the 280w consumption and no ratings / energy bandings etc. Have I missed / misunderstood something ?
I’d be grateful for any help / advice please!

You have misunderstood.
Your FF may indeed draw 280Watts but you seem to have assumed it is on 24/7
A FF it will only operate until the set temperature is reached, once this happens, it will stay there until the temperature rises, then it will operate to bring the temperature back down again. The compressor (That's what makes your FF cool/chill) will only operate when the temperature rises, i.e. when you open the door, and the heat gets in.

You may also want to consider getting one of these.
em.jpg
It is an energy monitor, Amazon have them from £14.09 You plug it in to a socket, then plug in what it is you want to check.

But it is true that older FF are not as efficient as newer models. You may also want to make sure you do not have too much ice build up. (Refer to the appliance manual)

Latest posts