Video Editing Software For Ubuntu

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone recommend a good (preferably free) video editing package for Ubuntu 12.04? Need to transfer some mini-DV tapes from my (old but good) Sony camcorder via Firewire. (Can't believe we paid £1200 for the camera 15 odd years ago!)

That's assuming the Firewire card will even work with Ubuntu?

Cheers

Canoeboy said:
Cant help you there - The reason i went from windows to MACs was for video editing - pure and simple

Final Cut Pro X the best there is

But no good for Ubuntu
you could run a hackintosh inside ubuntu,  :|

I dont do any video editing, or even any picture editing,

but, I'll have a look for you in a bit.

I have tried a few free video editors, either they are rubbish, or leave a watermark on the end result (fair enough really) I use movie editpro from magix.. Sorry i have no idea if it works on ubuntu

I have tried a few free video editors, either they are rubbish, or leave a watermark on the end result (fair enough really) I use movie editpro from magix.. Sorry i have no idea if it works on ubuntu
I dont know what OS you use,

but the free one is way waaaaay better than the most widespread one that actually costs money,

as are most of the apps available on it, also for free, although a lot of the paid ones are arguably better[still on a free OS though],

I really dont think anyone [and I dont know what you use Mr 9th] that uses windoze can pass comment on the quality of free stuff on Linux, most of it outclasses its windoze counterpart easily.

tell truth, some is cross-platform.

really it depends on what you want from it. basic editing can be very easy to get, such as Avidemux.

openshot is another that is apparently easy to use, apparently similar to Windows Movie Maker, or Apple iMovie.

there is also Cinerella. it looks a bit dodgy, and a bit basic, but it is very comprehensive.

and kdenlive is another that is readily available.

but i think the one you want is probably Kino. it hasnt been maintained since 2009, but in theory it should be a good bet since it has native firewire support.

really i just looked here: www.cyberciti.biz/faq/top5-linux-video-editing-system-software/

Canoeboy said:
If you are seriously into video editing and love videos then you just need to bite the bullet and by a mac and run Final Cut Pro X (or express as the cut down version)

I tried everything - All total crap for doing anything easily and in a timely manner

Bought a Mac purely for videos 4 years ago and have never looked back and am running Final Cut Studio (not upgraded to X yet)

I dont know about anything on Linux for video - all i can say is it will be better than any win doze stuff thats for sure
unfortunately, I have to agree with that,

any professional photographers or video folks I know all use crapple for the simple reason the editing stuff is far superior to anything on windoze,

but, thats on a professional level,

dunno about hobby stuff and if the time consumption is worth it to use something else,

or, if they are just too lazy to research anything on Linux,  :C