Voltimum - Are electricians the highest paid of the trades?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Social Integrator

News Hound
Reaction score
Roofers are the highest earning trade in the UK, according to new research.

The figures, uncovered by Simply Business, show which trades are raking in the dough, with roofers, joiners and electricians all falling in the top three – but it all depends on where you live.

Roofers living the high-life
Across the whole of the UK roofers are the highest earners, with an average turnover of £65,213. Joiners come in second at £56,386 and electricians take third place with an average £47,385.

At the other end of the spectrum, painters are the least well paid of the trades listed in the findings, with an average £28,604 annual turnover – although location matters, with painters in some regions earning more than electricians.

Painters in Glasgow earn more than electricians in Manchester
The research also broke down earnings by region – if you’re a roofer, painter or electrician, would you consider a move to Scotland? The highest earners in those trades are from Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Glasgow roofers really come out on top, with an average £103,853 in turnover – 148 per cent more than their counterparts in Leeds.

And Glasgow is a great city for painters, where our research shows they earn more than electricians do in Manchester.

60% more tradespeople earn six figures than three years ago
While different trades rank differently, tradespeople as a whole are earning far more than they did three years ago. The number of skilled workers turning over £100,000 or more has grown by more than 60 per cent since 2015.

Despite coming at the bottom of the table for average turnover per person, painters achieved the biggest income growth. The number of painters with £100,000 or more in turnover has increased by 88 per cent since 2015.

Brand: 
Voltimum

Topic: 
Regulations and Legislation

Thumbnail image: 
electrician_0.jpg.517fc88e0a912d07938862a1af5d9980.jpg

Teaser: 
A survey says...

Type: 
Industry News

Date of publication: 
01/02/2019

Target group: 
Voltimum

View the full article

Well this sounds like one of those statistical mythical manipulations. I don’t know any roofers earning that sort of mo he let alone painters. I’m thinking this is more a Company turnover as opposed to individual trade persons? 

Misleading and lacking in detail .......................... hum, turnover ........................ means absolutely NOTHING, only NETT profit matters.

Wonderful, thats all we need, a piece of well manipulated garbage that adds more to the legend that we're all earning megabucks. I had a bloke near me, now he has got loads of money, he rings up for work done and then moans about the price."aww, come on, you're loaded, I bet you've got thousands stashed away somewhere, you sparks are all well off" he went on (at this point I had £80 in the bank). At this point I snapped, "listen you moaning old git, if I was so well off, do you think I'd even bother with a pillock like you, If I didn't really need the money do you think I'd come out here for 40 or 50 quid, no I fecking wouldn't, now pay up and sod off" I ranted.

I snatched the guys money, got into my Landrover and drove off, I really wanted to smack him, thankfully after that he'll not ring again, I thought, WRONG! a week later and he's on the phone again.

Another misguided misleading report I do wonder who pays to get this garbage researched or is it a drive by report

From what I gather, this time of year & due to lack of work the agencys are trying to get away with paying gold card sparks £15/hr @ 9.5 hrs per day!  :eek:

The race to the bottom continues and will only get harder as work dries up due to political uncertainty...

Ho hum.

Latest posts