Water bonding for ev charging point

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purpleparrot

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times. I am getting a car charging point installed and getting quotes. I’ve just noticed one of the requirements for a charger is a water earth bond. I had my heating system changed a few years ago and they upgraded the size of the pipe. I can’t see any earth bond near the stop cock. Will this be a problem? Photo below. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hej7vaftxrdv8j8/D055178F-55CB-4575-B3B0-381DC972B437.jpeg?dl=0

Welcome to the forum, from your photo the water pipe appears to be plastic. But any contractor quoting to install a charger will, (or should), be doing a site visit to ensure every thing is adequate and compliant with current regulations to take the additional load that an EV charger will add to your installation. Earth bonding is long time established requirement for electrical installations, nothing new or unique to EV kit. So I wouldn't worry, just get your quotes and make sure at the end of the work you have received copies of the electrical certificates confirming it all meets BS7671. 

Doc H.

Welcome to the forum, from your photo the water pipe appears to be plastic. But any contractor quoting to install a charger will, (or should), be doing a site visit to ensure every thing is adequate and compliant with current regulations to take the additional load that an EV charger will add to your installation. Earth bonding is long time established requirement for electrical installations, nothing new or unique to EV kit. So I wouldn't worry, just get your quotes and make sure at the end of the work you have received copies of the electrical certificates confirming it all meets BS7671. 

Doc H.
Thank you for the reply. Will see what they all say when they quote.

Latest posts