What a Year

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This year has seen a massive loss of respect in the people entrusted to run the country for us.

First the bankers and high finance investors who we thought knew what they were doing, dropped us into the brown stuff with companies going bust and approaching 3 million out of work.

The building trade almost wiped out and interest rates at an all time low.

We then find that our elected representatives have been ripping us off big time with their fradulent expenses as the rest of us struggle to pay the bills.

During World War 1 the german generals refered to the British Army as " Lions led by donkeys" . Nothing seems to have changed IMO.

This year has seen a massive loss of respect in the people entrusted to run the country for us. First the bankers and high finance investors who we thought knew what they were doing, dropped us into the brown stuff with companies going bust and approaching 3 million out of work.

We then find that our elected representatives have been ripping us off big time with their fraudulent expenses as the rest of us struggle to pay the bills.

During World War 1 the German generals referred to the British Army as " Lions led by donkeys" . Nothing seems to have changed IMO.
The Don & His Boys, agree.

Not just bad times, but perhaps the worst of times.

AND MP's are certainly not helping (along with the Bankers)

X(

The Godfather

This year has seen a massive loss of respect in the people entrusted to run the country for us. First the bankers and high finance investors who we thought knew what they were doing, dropped us into the brown stuff with companies going bust and approaching 3 million out of work.

We then find that our elected representatives have been ripping us off big time with their fradulent expenses as the rest of us struggle to pay the bills.

During World War 1 the german generals refered to the British Army as " Lions led by donkeys" . Nothing seems to have changed IMO.
**DELETED**

Last edited by a moderator:
If were getting all historical the phrase pre dates the first world war.
The origins of the phrase pre-date the First World War. During the Crimean War, The Times wrote of the British Army, "The Russians say we are lions led on by asses." The Times recycled the phrase as "lions led by donkeys" with reference to French soldiers during the Franco-Prussian War. There were numerous examples of its use during the First World War, referring to both the British and the Germans.

jeez,didnt kniow that,

just goes to show that most of what you are taught at school is bull droppings,,,,,
You are right there Steps , I constantly hear of stuff we were taught , suddenly turns out to be untrue. :eek:

Heard one the other day (on Radio 4 so it must be true,) Alexander Graham-Bell did not invent the telephone, I think he half-inched the patent(can't quite remember) But we were even taught that the first phone conversation was to his assistant in the next room " Come in here Mr. ******* I want to see you"

And while we are on the subject of school , a while ago for me, but what was that obsession with King Bloody Alfred burning the damn cakes ?

Did everyone else get that or did it die out.

And for those north of the border, there was a guy in a cave watching a spider, what was that about ?

You are right there Steps , I constantly hear of stuff we were taught , suddenly turns out to be untrue. :eek: Heard one the other day (on Radio 4 so it must be true,) Alexander Graham-Bell did not invent the telephone, I think he half-inched the patent(can't quite remember) But we were even taught that the first phone conversation was to his assistant in the next room " Come in here Mr. ******* I want to see you"

And while we are on the subject of school , a while ago for me, but what was that obsession with King Bloody Alfred burning the damn cakes ?

And for those north of the border, there was a guy in a cave watching a spider, what was that about ?
Did it filter through, Sandra, that the world is now spherical....................?

:D

Is it !! You mean we won't fall off the edge ? We were also brainwashed into believing that Britain had the Mother of all Parliaments ... Mmmmmmm !! And that because we invented football no one could beat us.... Mmmmnnn !!!!

Is it !! You mean we won't fall off the edge ? We were also brainwashed into believing that Britain had the Mother of all Parliaments ... Mmmmmmm !! And that because we invented football no one could beat us.... Mmmmnnn !!!!
football was invented by the ancient Chinese..............

:|

You are right there Steps , I constantly hear of stuff we were taught , suddenly turns out to be untrue. :eek: Heard one the other day (on Radio 4 so it must be true,) Alexander Graham-Bell did not invent the telephone, I think he half-inched the patent(can't quite remember) But we were even taught that the first phone conversation was to his assistant in the next room " Come in here Mr. ******* I want to see you"

Yup the chap who came up with the idea (virtually identical to Bell) was skint so could afford to pay for the full patent license that would have stopped AG Bell in his tracks, although congress did redress the paten issue a while back but some 70 years too late as the chap died penniless

Latest posts