What am I missing? Heating controls

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so you have one wireless stat for the whole of the rads upstairs? 

You have a piped system which covers all rads upstairs in one loop? 

You have removed standard rad valves in favour of the actuators? 

So what you want is to be able to switch any one single rad by the same stat and valve? 

Correct, but how can I stop heating one room when the others are still heating? How can I make one of the actuators shutdown whilst the motorised valve is still running?

The simple answer is you can't without individual controls per rad. 

If you have multiple zones on the ufh setup you would need individual stats for the zones the uh1-w will then control the pump and boiler according to the actuators/stats requirements. 

I now have 1 wireless stat set to zone 2 which controls 1 actuator/rad, I want to fit more actuators on each rad which will have their own zone/wireless thermostat.

I only have one pipe loop for all the rads. That's why I'm trying to use actuators on all the rads just so I can acheive a multi zone with my existing pipes.

yes, I have removed one trv in favour of an actuator and I'm planning to do the same on all of them.

I'm planning to switch 1 single rad from 1 single stat x4 on the same motorised valve.

I will try one more time to explain.

You have one motorised valve for downstairs that you want to be energised  when any downstairs zone calls for heat.

you have one motorised valve for upstairs that you want to be energised when any upstairs zone calls for heat.

You CANNOT do this all from one controller. Each controller has just one "call for heat" output and you need two.

So you need two controllers, one upstairs one downstairs.  Accept that fact, buy another controller and you will get your system to work as you want.

Another way of explaining it would be if you had UFH upstairs and downstairs, then each one would have it's own controller.

the only way it can work with one controller is with one motorised valve per radiator, and then the feedback contacts on the motorised valves are connected to give the extra logic that is missing from one controller.

I've come across this old thread and I'm sorry I haven't said thanks to all that contributed to the topic and to ProDave especially.

This was sorted with 2 wiring centres, one for rads upstairs and one for ufh downstairs. The rads upstairs all have ufh actuators on them instead of TRVs and each room has individual wireless controls. The only room that doesn't have it is the bathroom which comes on together with any of the bedrooms when the motorized valve is open for the rads.

I hope this topic will help others..

Combi boilers are both a high-competence water heater, and a central heating boiler, joined in one compact unit. No distinct hot water cylinder is necessary, which saves a substantial amount of space, while providing the comforts of central heating. With combi boilers connected, heated water is provided rapidly, and unlike conventional systems, no hot water is heated and stored, but is provided as needed to taps and showers, and the same heat is circulated to the air circulating system. The water is fed from the mains, so the water pressure is normally greater.

Combi boilers are a high-competence and price -efficient and other to conventional heating systems. Combi boilers are growing in acceptance and are also space savers that are less costly to maintain and operate.

What I dislike about combis is the waste of water whilst the thing fires up. I find this particularly annoying if I turn off the tap, then want more hot water a few moments later, having to go through the cycle again.

I've got one in my bungalow and I'm not about to start re-plumbing it, but if I was designing from scratch it would be a pressurised cylinder and a system boiler every time.  Combi's are primarily to minimise initial installation costs in my opinion.

Latest posts