"what do you think?" (poll)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here you go then:
poles.jpg
Strange...........they just do not look like the ones walking around Chester with phone stuck to lug hole....... :slap :slap

OK - back to topic.

Correct answers, dependant on ability, are either 1, 4 or 5.

3 creates trip hazards for you and the public in the shop.

1 is correct if you don`t feel competent to carry out the works.

4 is addressable to almost ALL "live working"; including fault finding.

5 could also be correct, if you don`t know.

The reason I posted was this: I billed the facilities dept for a second person; and they`ve queried it. I quoted H&S & our RA/MS; they came back with a comment from someone on the HSE helpline.

I, (with the wonderful assistance from our "snakehips" ;) ) came back with lots of info to back up my position; and have since found 2 direct recommendations of this in HSE publications (HSG85).

So I wanted to see what y`all would do, under those circumstances. Thanks to all who replied.

KME

OK - back to topic.Correct answers, dependant on ability, are either 1, 4 or 5.

3 creates trip hazards for you and the public in the shop.

1 is correct if you don`t feel competent to carry out the works.

4 is addressable to almost ALL "live working"; including fault finding.

5 could also be correct, if you don`t know.

The reason I posted was this: I billed the facilities dept for a second person; and they`ve queried it. I quoted H&S & our RA/MS; they came back with a comment from someone on the HSE helpline.

I, (with the wonderful assistance from our "snakehips" ;) ) came back with lots of info to back up my position; and have since found 2 direct recommendations of this in HSE publications (HSG85).

So I wanted to see what y`all would do, under those circumstances. Thanks to all who replied.

KME
it does but if the temporary cables are routed in such a way that no hazard is made or is minimized that would be better than just across the floor ;)

Thanks for the update KME, the poll was very interesting, surprisingly it reflected an earlier post by Sidewinder who asked who works to CDM.

The questions raised I hope will give practical demonstration to all who are willing to learn about the importance of competant working practice.

Remember everyone does a risk assessment without even knowing they are doing it.

I had to connect a sub main live, there was no way I could close down a factory to do it dead, my risk assessment stated "possible death", need less to say I had a very experianced electrician stood beside me with a peice of 3"x2" ready and waiting in the event of any accidental arcing.

Never ever work alone live is my advise, and I would have billed the same as you.

Goes to show, what H+S say we should do, and what we are likely to do are 2 different things.

Common sense should be applied to every situation, theres no book, guide or regulation that can account for every situation.

I voted for "Grab a torch and see if I can get it sorted "

But then I also work live on stuff like that , I've never mastered the concept of testing to see if something is live when its dead !!