What exactly can an 'domestic installer' do?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ooohhhhby the square by the level by the plumb,,,,,,,

sorry, wrong club,

by the spike,

by the grid ,

by the resistance of the earth,,,,,,

I like this rolled up trouser leg malarkey........
But you have got to stick your rolled up leg in some damp earth with a touch voltage less than 50v at your "meat & two veg" if touching an exposed part of the erection! :eek: :p:^O:^O:^O] :)

Erection: "building or structure" if you please!

DON'T be dirty or smutty!Blushing:_| X(

Can I suggest a logo?
earthrod.jpg

you could put it on your vans...........

:D
you have far too much spare time!

There are a lot of good 5 weekers out there and a lot of bad ones, there's also a lot of good time served electricans and a lot of bad ones too.

Your only as good as your last job.

Visited a job recently where a CU had been changed by a "time servered" electrician.

He had two ring circuits in one MCB, he had run out of brown double insulated for the tail so used blue and wrapped it with brown tape, he had a 16A MCB protecting 1.5mm supply to an alarm that was hard wired to the panel (no FCU).

One of the rings had a broken live (which I later discovered behind a kitchen cupboard in a loose connector block wired for a spur where a single socket had once been - no cover) so obviously hadn't loop tested.

He had fitted a second hand CU with a 30mm open hole in the bottom and I think he used his teeth to open up the cable entries. He was running short on CPC sleeve so put 2 pieces on one cpc thus leaving exposed copper in the middle.

He hadn't labelled anything apart from writing on the MCB with a marker. Oh and the tails were loose.

He hadn't completed a certificate and had emigrated (I wonder why - yeehaw!)

Say no more!

There are a lot of good 5 weekers out there and a lot of bad ones, there's also a lot of good time served electricans and a lot of bad ones too.Your only as good as your last job.

Visited a job recently where a CU had been changed by a "time servered" electrician.

He had two ring circuits in one MCB, he had run out of brown double insulated for the tail so used blue and wrapped it with brown tape, he had a 16A MCB protecting 1.5mm supply to an alarm that was hard wired to the panel (no FCU).

One of the rings had a broken live (which I later discovered behind a kitchen cupboard in a loose connector block wired for a spur where a single socket had once been - no cover) so obviously hadn't loop tested.

He had fitted a second hand CU with a 30mm open hole in the bottom and I think he used his teeth to open up the cable entries. He was running short on CPC sleeve so put 2 pieces on one cpc thus leaving exposed copper in the middle.

He hadn't labelled anything apart from writing on the MCB with a marker. Oh and the tails were loose.

He hadn't completed a certificate and had emigrated (I wonder why - yeehaw!)

Say no more!
Welcome to the forum Mike, I will just draw you attention to the date in the top left hand corner of posts, it shows when that post was added to the forum. You are replying to thread that is over 2years and 9months old. As it already has over 100 replies to it and your comments have been debated infinitum on numerous other more recent threads, I consider it prudent to close this particular thread as members who have joined during the past 2 years would need to do a lot of reading to get up to speed and comment in context.

Just as a few observation to your comments. 1.5mm T&E can carry greater then 16A if clipped direct and if wired to a fixed load that has its own internal fuse, (as most alarm panel do) there would be no safety issues. Also the sleeve on a CPC is for identification not insulation. Often it bonds to a completely exposed large area of bare metal, mounting box or equipment enclosure, so a small or even large amount of exposed copper is not any issue either. Also It is permissible to over mark a conductor with the appropriate colour, e.g. sleeve a blue in a T&E as brown for a switched live. It may not be the best advert for quality workmanship, but a blue tail sleeved or over marked brown, would still indicate a Line conductor as opposed to a neutral conductor.

I assume you can understand why it is best to close this particular thread, but feel free to start a new threads if you wish to discuss this topic further or use the search facility to find a more recent thread.

Doc H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts