What tests prior to "pricing up"

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a few plug in test is not to bad but doing ir, ze befor u even know u got the job its a nightmare. trouble is people are cluless and they dont know if your giving them potental life saving advice or trying to rip them off. my instructor said he used to make them sign a contract saying any underline faults picked up would be chargable

There really is only so much you can do before it starts to get silly really DL, I would just do basics and mention in quote that more thorough testing maybe needed later on.Andy
I used to do a few basic tests, but its all time and money, so stopped doing this, but do make a point of having very good look and making it clear to customer that i don't have x-ray vision and may find problems whilst undertaking work required.

a few plug in test is not to bad but doing ir, ze befor u even know u got the job its a nightmare. trouble is people are cluless and they dont know if your giving them potental life saving advice or trying to rip them off. my instructor said he used to make them sign a contract saying any underline faults picked up would be chargable
These tests take me minutes to complete, but save me hours in work.

I never have to explain extra charges, I did all that when I first started out.

Now I allow an hour per quote, 10 minutes of this is spent doing basic tests, the other 50 minutes is spent getting to know the customer.

Its amazing how much you can find you have in common, and show an interest in their activities.This is the time to sell you! Your the most important part of the rewire.

I have left some houses only to be invited back for a party or bbq or even a wedding on one occasion, simply because I was there, gave good advise, was not overpriced and above all was proffesional in my approach.

You simply can not be beaten if you are prepared to spare the time and help the client through a very expensive part of the process.

I have left some houses only to be invited back for a party or bbq or even a wedding on one occasions.
i hope you took them up on the offer of a good drink :) lol

tt

i agree but i am not as fast as u. so you take the cu cover off for the ze thats not to bad. the ir u doing p+n to e so u dont have to disconect clocks, bulbs, pir appliances ect

tbh, i can see why a few tests before a cu change will come in handy, or maybe an extension/conservatory but the odd socket or light seems a bit ott

tt i agree but i am not as fast as u. so you take the cu cover off for the ze thats not to bad. the ir u doing p+n to e so u dont have to disconect clocks, bulbs, pir appliances ect
Yes everything can reamain connected the whole installation is "quickly" tested this gives me an indication of potential problems, but not all. However armed with these few tests I am in a far better position to be realistic in my quotes.

I have had phone calls from past quotations I have done all saying I wish I had you do my rewire.

Too late. headbang

tbh, i can see why a few tests before a cu change will come in handy, or maybe an extension/conservatory but the odd socket or light seems a bit ott
If you do no tests the add an additional socket to what you assume to be a ring protected to a 30mA rcd, then test and find that the rcd does not operate in the given time, or you have no earth at all, what do you do then?

It is far harder to explain additional costs after than before.

It does not matter that you are resonsible and have done the work correctly the customer will always remember the cheaper quote from bob the builder who did not even check for any potential problems.

I suppose its all about covering yourself for every eventuality.

cheers, think I'll be doing tests from now on.

When doing c/u changes I tend to book the customer in for 2 half days. The first to complete the testing and the second to fit the c/u and if required fix any problems. I quote them for the complete job and explain to them there will be a charge immediatly after the testing to cover my half day and at that point I will quote them for any remedial work. I explain to them that way then they are welcome to get any other guys in to requote on the c/u change along with the remedial work. Then I do the nothing jobs in the afternoon after the testing and order any parts I need for any up and coming jobs and do any quotes etc. Works well for me that way. Also I tell them I will give them a PIR report if they decide not to continue with the c/u change so at least they feel as if they have got something for there moeny. However never had a customer not let me carry on and do all further work yet although I expect it will happen 1 day.

Latest posts