What To Charging For Carrying Out Inspections Including Travel.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedster

Reaction score
Hi all, I am a full scope napit member and have been asked to quote for travelling

to and from sites, up to around 70 miles from home to install & connect sewage/ pumping equipment

in domestic premises, (so comes under part p ) and subsequent notification to the relevant local authority.

Hourly rates I'm ok with , but any ideas what hourly rate / mileage rate I should charge for travelling to and from the sites.

Any ideas very welcome !!

P.S I normally work close to home so this is something new .

Speedster. :B-

I either  charge my hourly rate spent driving, or mileage at 44p per mile each way.

Either way I hate travelling a long way for a short job.

I think you can charge anything up to 40p per mile as that's about the limit that you can claim from HMRC, although most companies will expect a lot less than this.

Realistically you can charge what you like, whether the company/customer will agree to pay is a different matter. I have one company that I sub to that will pay 25ppm, it's not great but it's better than nothing.

We charge 50p per mile.

You can "charge" what you like, it has nothing to do with HMRC.

You can only claim the HMRC rates from your employer/company/self for business use of your private vehicle.

We also charge travel time @ our normal hourly rate.

:D   Thanks to all of you for taking the trouble to reply.

I will go with my hourly rate for time it takes to get to and from the job,

time taken to carry out the installation work and the inspection and test, plus time for filling in the certificate and doing the part p notification.

I'll charge 40 or 45 p per mile travelled.

I can now get the figures to the company ready for Monday morning !

Best wishes to all.

Speedster.

Hi Wiz,

It involves one circuit basically,but not necessarily a new one from the board.

The supply has to be taken from a convenient and suitable point in the customer's installation.

If there isn't a spare way in the dist board, then the supply is taken from an existing power circuit.

An rcd is fitted, the the cabling (swa) is run to the plant etc. etc.

When all the work is completed, the usual tests are carried out,i.e.continuity of protective conductors,insulation resisance, polarity, Zs, rcd tests etc.

Speedster.

Like the others , Speedy , I'd be charging my hourly rate to drive , say, an hour ....do the job and same for the return journey. 

Just to make a point of interest on the subject ,   years ago ,employed by a contractor under JIB rules , I  used to be seconded to a firm that did overhead crane modifications  etc ,  This involved much travelling and overtime .  

However we were returning from oop north on a Sunday  , me driving the Transit down the M6 , the fitter dozing off .  We get talking about overtime rates etc and it transpired that , being Sunday , he was sleeping on double time  as we travelled back  while I , under JIB rules , was driving the fecking van all the way back on JIB Travelling  Time rules  ie:   Normal rate of pay.  

So he booked a 12 hour day   @  X2  = 24 hours 

I had to book 8 hrs @ X2  and 4 hrs TT @  normal rate.

Caused a right stink on Monday morning in the office .  They said we have to follow   JIB rules for the electrician ,  Not when I'm subbing with a non-JIB company says I .

It can't be done under the system they say .

Yes it can ..I just book  4 hrs TT each way  instead of 2.  

Oh how we laughed    :(

Last edited by a moderator: