What to do after college?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELLIE_PVI

Reaction score
Hi guys, just wondering if I could get some insight into what people think is the best next step/s for me.

I'm currently in my final year of college (doing City and Guilds Lvl3 Electrical installation) and honestly don't know where to go from here.

I have very very little to no actual viable practical experience as the 2 opportunities I had to get an apprentiship previously were unsuccessful (Due to a new company not knowing what they needed and JTL receding their offer as they somehow didn't know how many days in college we did).

I want to become fully qualified but don't know the best route for me currently due to my lack of experience and the lack of any electrians mate/cable puller jobs near me.

Would still looking for an apprenticeship be best? Even though I'd have to pretty much repeat a year in college.

Also to add that I unfortunately at the lovely age of 20 do not yet have my driving licence so this has also been an issue. But my eyes are currently being checked to see if I can legally drive so hopefully this won't be an issue by the end of this year.

Any help would be greatful.

Ellie.

What is wrong with your eyes? Not colour blindness as this is an issue with becoming an electrician?
What area are you in?
Hi, no not colourblindness. I'm above the legal limit to drive but I am unable to see the numberplates at the test centre so I am in the midst of changing prescriptions to see if it'll help. And I live in Newport

New pair of lenses and you’ll be fine!
Sorry can’t help you with Newport don’t know anyone in that area specifically.

I’d suggest that you get an ECS card (link below) according to your qualifications. You may not have to do the test as your recent qualifications should cover you.

Then I advise persons in your situation to join a few agencies. This will allow you to get some work according to your skill set, it will also get you some local contacts and who knows if you impress then something more permanent may present itself.
If not and you stay with agencies you will get a variety of differing works which will only help you.
Do what you need to do to get your experience and confidence before thinking to far ahead, you have age on your side!

https://www.ecscard.org.uk/
Sorry forgot link!

Concur with @Sharpend , many potential employers use agencies to find staff. From the employer's point of view it means they can assess you as an employee without the rigmorol of interviews and possibly finding they have recruited a useless person. You could also stick a CV on electrical wholesalers counters, from an employer's perspective it shows initiative.

(1) Daft answer to the question "What to do after college?"
Go down the Pub is often a common port of call after college in my book!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry.. welcome to the forum..

(2) hopefully a little bit more helpful..
In any type of job search, in any sphere of work, "Who you know" carries far more weight than "What you know"..

So you need to explore every possible avenue to get your name known...
and find as many possible contacts in the area of work you are interested in.

Search for all local businesses large or small and e-mail or phone them asking if they need any labouring help on any planned projects / contracts?

use sites such as industry recognised trade associations, where they typically have a find a contractor search option by postcode area.
e.g.
https://search.napit.org.uk/
https://niceic.com/find-a-tradesperson/

As Binky mentioned most wholesalers have a pin-board where anyone can pin a message / business card etc..
So print up some short to the point message that you could pin on as many local wholesalers are possible..
(It may catch the eye of a local contractor while they are collecting materials for a job).

e.g.
"Semi-skilled trainee looking for extra hands on experience.
Currently part way through C&G college training.
Interested in any type of work local to postcode area "ABC-123"
Keen and wiling to learn.. Please contact: email / phone"

You don't want anything to long as it wont be read.. I guess 6 bullet point lines max.

I wish you well with your search...
BUT.. I fear the big stumbling block currently is Health & Safety...
and insurance, when it comes to considering taking on some extra casual labour!

As a small business myself trading since Feb 1999, I would love to take on, and/or, assist a youngster trying to get more experience...
BUT with far to many risks and liabilities if something went "Pear-Shaped",
I simply would not bother to try!!!

So don't give up at the first rejection.. keep on knocking and pushing those doors.. and eventually one will open!!

In the current climate of green energy, solar generation, EV's etc..
The need for electrically qualified persons is going to be on the increase.. Not decline..

I hope that helps a bit???
as I am now relaxing with an evening tipple, (or two), before bed..
and soon I wont care one way or the other!!
:unsure:🍺🍻

Hi guys, just wondering if I could get some insight into what people think is the best next step/s for me.

I'm currently in my final year of college (doing City and Guilds Lvl3 Electrical installation) and honestly don't know where to go from here.

I have very very little to no actual viable practical experience as the 2 opportunities I had to get an apprentiship previously were unsuccessful (Due to a new company not knowing what they needed and JTL receding their offer as they somehow didn't know how many days in college we did).

I want to become fully qualified but don't know the best route for me currently due to my lack of experience and the lack of any electrians mate/cable puller jobs near me.

Would still looking for an apprenticeship be best? Even though I'd have to pretty much repeat a year in college.

Also to add that I unfortunately at the lovely age of 20 do not yet have my driving licence so this has also been an issue. But my eyes are currently being checked to see if I can legally drive so hopefully this won't be an issue by the end of this year.

Any help would be greatful.

Ellie.
Get your driving license. Get on the books with a good firm who does big jobs. Get as much experience as you can. Then when your going out doing jobs by yourself further down the line you will know when your confidence and knowledge is in a good place. When that day comes go as a Subby. I wouldn’t personally go to work for a small firm that does little jobs pottering about 1 day here 1 day there. It’s ok for a while but to learn a wide range of skills you need to be on big construction jobs that last for months. You will be doing all sorts of different stuff. Just depends what you wana do and what you enjoy. I won’t touch domestic. I hate it. But that’s just me. But put me on a job for 3 months in a factory or warehouse and I’m loving it. Some sparks are 1 day here 1 day there jobbers, and others like me are what I like to call project sparks. Longer period jobs. Bigger stuff. You will have to just figure out which one you are as time passes.