How to become a trade electrician

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
plus you would expect a factory built battery to have a level of quality control inspection and testing
If only Binky - but you are at the mercy of Cheap Charley and buying a black box - whats inside the box Barney - as Andy over the course of 10 years can show his bitter experience in fake rubbish - hence why DIYers build their own, they known what they are getting and total is 1/3rd $$$$ of the ready made stuff. Course if you have deep pockets .......
Having said that, the whole DIYer market has gotten so much smarter and informed even in just this last year - thats how fast its moving. Andy got burned in the earlier days.

But step aside from the battery issue and its Uber Hype, just look over his shoulder at how he struggles with the almighty inverters and his superficial attention to his dc wiring installation, fuses, breakers conformance to Code and even sound electrical design practice (he was an IT guy bg and doesnt understand the concept of an SLD). Indeed almost all of the YT vids skate over this issue. When you patch all the kit together, panels, batteries, generator, inverters, Grid interface metering etc plus wiring distribution and switchgear/fuse protection, Monitoring and control (it has to perform unattended !!!!!! and must have emergency shutdown and firemans switch) - it all gets very complex electrically and needs to be designed and planned out or you end up with a dogs breakfast which only the owner understands

There's a huge concern over the MC4 solar cable connectors - market is flooded with Cheap Charly counterfeits looking superficially identical at 1/5th of the cost of the original Staubli design. Many different makes here, but their MC4 versions are not intechangeable

I even discovered fraudulent counterfeit Solar Cable, that special high temperature single core stuff - supposedly 6mm2 that turns out to be nearer 4mm2

BTW there is not effective fire extinguisher system for Lithium Batteries thermal runaway - burn the house down.

As for switchgear and fuse protection I dont have enough expletives to cover the massive fraud being perpetrated not only by Cheap Charlie but the big Corps are conniving to coral the whole kit into some very very high priced proprietorial solutions An NF fused master circuit breaker ££££ could cost more than your panel array - yet a simple knife switch can do a reliable job for <£20. T Class fuses $100 +. All fuses on Ebay are for ac systems not rated for dc. Dont ever go near those fake counterfeit PRC fuses I could rabbit on about this for hours - but not here - probably bored stiff by now.

If only Binky - but you are at the mercy of Cheap Charley and buying a black box - whats inside the box Barney - as Andy over the course of 10 years can show his bitter experience in fake rubbish - hence why DIYers build their own, they known what they are getting and total is 1/3rd $$$$ of the ready made stuff. Course if you have deep pockets .......
Having said that, the whole DIYer market has gotten so much smarter and informed even in just this last year - thats how fast its moving. Andy got burned in the earlier days.

I avoid the cheapest gear, for very good reasons. It's also fair to say I get trade prices on everything. Prices I pay are not so much h
But step aside from the battery issue and its Uber Hype, just look over his shoulder at how he struggles with the almighty inverters and his superficial attention to his dc wiring installation, fuses, breakers conformance to Code and even sound electrical design practice (he was an IT guy bg and doesnt understand the concept of an SLD). Indeed almost all of the YT vids skate over this issue. When you patch all the kit together, panels, batteries, generator, inverters, Grid interface metering etc plus wiring distribution and switchgear/fuse protection, Monitoring and control (it has to perform unattended !!!!!! and must have emergency shutdown and firemans switch) - it all gets very complex electrically and needs to be designed and planned out or you end up with a dogs breakfast which only the owner understands
I avoid these like the plague.
There's a huge concern over the MC4 solar cable connectors - market is flooded with Cheap Charly counterfeits looking superficially identical at 1/5th of the cost of the original Staubli design. Many different makes here, but their MC4 versions are not intechangeable

I even discovered fraudulent counterfeit Solar Cable, that special high temperature single core stuff - supposedly 6mm2 that turns out to be nearer 4mm2
Counterfeit gear is an ongoing issue, especially on certain websites.
BTW there is not effective fire extinguisher system for Lithium Batteries thermal runaway - burn the house down.
Battery chemistry has changed so that it shouldn't happen.
As for switchgear and fuse protection I dont have enough expletives to cover the massive fraud being perpetrated not only by Cheap Charlie but the big Corps are conniving to coral the whole kit into some very very high priced proprietorial solutions An NF fused master circuit breaker ££££ could cost more than your panel array - yet a simple knife switch can do a reliable job for <£20. T Class fuses $100 +. All fuses on Ebay are for ac systems not rated for dc. Dont ever go near those fake counterfeit PRC fuses I could rabbit on about this for hours - but not here - probably bored stiff by now.
Write 'solar' on it and the price triples.

Last edited:
This is what can happen with failed switchgear - This was MV ac breakers and the guy wasnt wearing any PPE, gloves, googles - insane. dc is far worse cos the arc keeps going and you have a continuous fire ball

Another in a Switch room, these guys are specially trained and issued with full PPE - they know what can happen. Similar can occur with dc home powerwalls and wrong switchgear/fuses and meddling with wiring

a dc fire can be like this

Last edited: