What's your favourite tool

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@kerching I would say yes, but I would have to seek advice on the matter from someone who had actually been born at that time. :p  

Trade test so far has gone well. I have never been this stressed in my life, but I have passed the four jointing elements, the written LV paper, a theoretical backfeed assignment and my practical linking and backfeeding. Got supply point testing, pre testing and the final review (where I will get grilled on fault management) on monday. The fault management could be my downfall as I mainly do new connections but I'm hoping that what I know is enough to pass. 

Hope it goes well for you Misss.............I'm sure you'll do just fine.

My favourite tool has to be the Fien

Sds and multisaw are brilliant - bread and butter tools - regularly used and abused! Just got a 4.5 inch Worx saw with laser guide and it is awesome! Compact, plunge cut, set depth - enter smug mode whenever I use it!

Good luck Miss S!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know they're not everyone's cup of tea but I do like and actually use my Kew Blade Runner!

My tray bending tool and a a particular, knurled tap wrench tick the boxes as I made them both at college.

@kerching I would say yes, but I would have to seek advice on the matter from someone who had actually been born at that time. :p  

Trade test so far has gone well. I have never been this stressed in my life, but I have passed the four jointing elements, the written LV paper, a theoretical backfeed assignment and my practical linking and backfeeding. Got supply point testing, pre testing and the final review (where I will get grilled on fault management) on monday. The fault management could be my downfall as I mainly do new connections but I'm hoping that what I know is enough to pass. 
Sweedy , stop worrying , you'll be fine ...........sounds like you're nearly there .  

Let us know how it went .  

Sweedy , stop worrying , you'll be fine ...........sounds like you're nearly there .  

Let us know how it went .  

Thank you @M107 :)  

Cheer Deke, but you know what I'm like with assessments and exams. I turn into a proper stress head. 

But I'm gonna try my best and if they ask me something I don't know I'll just be honest and say that I don't know. I don't wanna guess it, because they are looking at how you would deal with things on site and if you start guessing things then it could all go very wrong very quickly. 

That sounds like a good plan Sweedy .     And you're not alone feeling the stress of exams & assessments .  

I lost it slightly with an assessor who thought I should know , off the top of my head,  the rate of extraction of air from a bathroom  .    I mean ..who cares ? One of those who bombards you with questions because he's a Regs Book  Cruncher , just trying to show you up  .   At least I can look it up ....pick up my tools ...go out to site ....  bash a hole in the wall ...shove a fan in it....make good ... wire it up and walk away . 

I don't carry that stuff around in my head , just look it up when I need to .   Same with a load of stuff really , do we know everyone's phone number ..no.       

Looks like you won't be taking me out for drinks then,remember? Oh well never mind lol.good luck with it kid.

Yes you're right. I could say "it could be this or that, but I'm not sure so I would seek advice from another jointer or team manager". Which is what I would do if I actually was in that situation anyway. 

Yep, I meant drop in your exact comment on the dangers of guessing. You might get "extra marks" for that.

Exam and assessment stress is a bit like stage fright.

I am terrible for both, for the first five or ten mins of an exam I can hardly remember my name let alone anything else.

The few days leading up to them is a torment too.

Trying to cram obscure things into an already full brain at 2am because you think might turn up in the exam.

Not getting enough sleep or eating properly does you no good either.

The jitters and nerves on the morning of the exam/assessment making me want to walk away from it.

Once that's all done with I'm fine and I get on with it.

I've collected a good few credits and distinctions along the way and never failed an exam.

I've never been nervous or unsure in my job regardless of whatever disaster I've been thrown in to sort out.

If you don't have the info in your head you should have your books handy to refer to.

90% of it should be common sense when you've got some experience under your belt.

If you're still stuck, don't know or are just plain clueless about it remember this acronym.. ASK

Arse

Saving

Kit.

You ask someone who knows.

That's how you learn and probably how they learned too.

Latest posts