Where is our right to freedom of speech gone?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrician786

Reaction score
Why do the moderators close threads when they feel like it. Just because you don't like it. We have a right to freedom of speech. I will be rating this app in accordance with the way moderators rate it's users.

I think you will find that the mods close threads if they feel that the discussions are likely to get uncivilised?

I have loads of unread threads on the forum so I have not seen any closed threads yet.

A post of mine was removed unjustly in my opinion. The moderators should stay in the background if they don't like discussions.

Just because someone may think its rubbish it might be of some use to others.

You are referring to the 5WW thread?

I think all that could be said had been said in that thread.

But it was going round in circles, with points of view getting repeated and the tone was getting nasty in places.

I think if it had been left it could have got unpleasant, and closing it was right.

All my own humble opinion.

Why do the moderators close threads when they feel like it. Just because you don't like it. We have a right to freedom of speech. I will be rating this app in accordance with the way moderators rate it's users.
A post of mine was removed unjustly in my opinion. The moderators should stay in the background if they don't like discussions.Just because someone may think its rubbish it might be of some use to others.
I think you will find that very few threads are closed at all, if you bothered to research the archives the statistics for both editing posts and closing threads are a very small number. This is a forum that is not owned or managed by you, therefore you do not have rights to anything other than complying with the terms and conditions of the forum laid out by Admin when the forum was established. When you establish and manage your own forum you can define how it is run and moderated, until that time you will either respect those who are performing these tasks and operate within the established rules of the forum that many others find acceptable, or choose to take your freedom of speech elsewhere.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the clue is in the name (MODERATOR) :slap

It's not our train set! We just watch it go round!

If they feel a thread is detrimental to the forum and some of its members then of course they can adjust where they see fit otherwise the forum would just become a slanging match which is not productive or useful!!

Many of the members are training to become electricians and they need helpful constructive threads and comments.

The mods do a very good job IMO and for no reimbursement for their time.!

Like the Doc said start your own forum without moderation and watch your member list dwindle due to peoples views being belittled or the feel of its members being bullied.

Keep up the good work and to the Op I notice this thread has not been removed has it??

The mods are clearly confident that they have the support of the majority of its members and I think you will find they are correct!! :Salute

Start a new thread if youve got something useful to say. If its rubbish it'll get deleted :)
Actually, if a new thread is started by the person who started a closed or deleted thread and refers to the same thing - that is an Infractionable offence.

Wrong Country. We have no Freedom of Speech in the UK. Never have had.

mr 786

mr smith closed that thread

as mr smith saw no further useful input being given on the topic

mr 786 is

in the first instance

requested to calm down a little

and try behaving like a grown up

the administrator has already made comment

regarding attempts to rebirth a closed topic

mr smith wishes to make it perfectly clear

that his 5 weeks away from the forum

have not doused his fire

if an infractionable offence is noted

mr smith will act appropriately

all moderators help the forum of their own free will

mr 786 also has free will

whining at the moderators will not score points

or make you look clever

it will simply get you banned

now play nicely you have been warned

mr smith

No freedom of speech in England .........!!!!!.... Enoch Powell said what he thought in his Birmingham speech and he went on to a glittering career in politics and became party leader and Prime Minister and.....er....erm.... Oh no....... must be thinking of someone else ...Oooops :( :run

You have no freedom of speech on a privately owned forum. If the Owner or their agents(mods) dont approve or the thread is causing friction it can be locked deleted with no reason if they so wished. The mods here are very fair to get a thread closed or post deleted you have to really push it.

Why do the moderators close threads when they feel like it. Just because you don't like it.
I have just had a quick recap over this subject and as far as I can see the only significant thread that has recently been closed is the http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/electrician-talk-forum/18792-5-week-wonder-urban-myth.html thread, this was an open discussion subject started by 'Guy' and by post #100 Guy had said "Well I got my answer, definitely not a myth, but a beautiful story full of many twists and turns" so following one or two final comments the thread was closed at post #104.

It is common for some questions posted on forum to have clear answers and a natural conclusion point, others could be debated indefinitely and become increasingly long and cumbersome for other members to read. As this open ended question had been answered to the satisfaction of the thread starter. Then irrespective of the content of any of the posts in the thread it would be common sense to close the thread to prevent it becoming an unmanageable size for others to come back and read at a later date. As such the most practical and appropriate action have been taken as far as I can see?

Doc H.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:25 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:11 ----------

You have no freedom of speech on a privately owned forum. If the Owner or their agents(mods) dont approve or the thread is causing friction it can be locked deleted with no reason if they so wished. The mods here are very fair to get a thread closed or post deleted you have to really push it.
I will just point out in relation to the above comment that any member is able to signal their disapproval for a thread or a posts content, by using the report post feature. Posts that are removed, are very often highlighted by other members to the mods and Admin. I assume we are all aware that this forum is a very open unregulated forum, with members able to post their content directly onto forum, without any moderation prior to it being available to be read by all other members and guests. As such, we do very much rely on the eyes of all of our members highlighting any items they consider inappropriate, so in essence the forum is basically self regulating and moderating.

Doc H.

Not so Ian! The 'Bill of Rights' the Americans get so hung up on is ours! In it we do have a right to free speech and also a right to bear arms. The act has never been repealed so still stands.

Bill of Rights 1689 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's now an offense to even mention freedom of speech within a mile of parliament. The act may still be there but subsequent laws have rendered it useless as steps horse and cart insurance.

Also the bill only applies to mps having freedom of speech in parliament. Nothing about normal people or forumites.

Just a thought.

Some other forums I use, allow the original poster to close the thread when he feels it is complete.

Something worth considering here?