Where To Start

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'd be thinking of up the concrete post with a piece of conduit, then a piece of copex to the camera? 

As for the cable wouldn't that depend on what camera you were putting in? Don't some use POE these days? 

I was looking at PoE cameras tbh.

Some 10mm flexible sounds like a plan. Black to not be too obtrusive.

Not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth etc but.....

So the BiL is digging, payment in tea & biccies, a trench for the new water main. I'd already run new 25mm MDPE from the house to a convenient point in the garden (where he excavated to originally find the water main) but seeing the state of the iron pipe decided to go all the way. I'll get a complete run of new 25mm MDPE all the way so no joints and no more old iron. Lesson learnt!

I had initially been thinking of a dead straight trench up from the road with the CCTV in too. But.....

Felt it might be easier to follow the line of the existing 60 year old iron water main across the garden that comes from the road in a long sweeping curve then up the side of the house about 700mm down which is incidentally our water companies minimum depth. The straight line option has 3 mature trees pretty much on the ideal line so roots etc to contend with.

So earlier this afternoon he starts to follow it and it's heading straight for a forsythia the wife doesn't want damaged. So he dog legs around that then there's a lilac bush she again wants to keep. So I now have a 700mm deep trench that by tomorrow morning will be all the way from halfway up the side of the house to the MDPE stopcock inside the boundary fence.

Looking down from the corner of the house, it veers left around the forsythia (went thru the soak away pipe in the process)

So to the left of the forsythia then right to miss the lilac:

Then it needs to go now to the right of another lilac to the stopcock - circled red:

Overall it's NOT a straight line:

So the trench is not ideally where I want it it seems a shame to "waste" it bearing in mind I'm beholden to the BiL if I want any digging like this done. The plan then is to run a length of 50 or 63mm green duct for the CCTV in the same trench. The water board just wanted photos.....so they'll get them pre the CCTV duct of course with a tape held up to show depth!

Anyone see an issue?

Next issue is where to take the duct to into the house i.e where best to site a CCTV DVR type box. Is in the living room under the TV with all the other AV stuff a really a good idea? Where the cu will eventually be brought inside to, at the other considered location,  is a long way off - in a doorway that needs blocking up and relocating.

Cheers

Personally I wouldn't put it with the TV as its the first place a crook would look? 

A very good point that though with the age of my non smart main telly and the weight.....& would someone really want a PS2 nowadays? :)

TBH as and when we knock thru the lounge / diner we've planned a false chimney breast to hide a supporting stub wall. Half a thought to incorporate a sort of hidden "riser" cupboard within. It won't be soon though!

I see many of these NVR boxes have HDMI out as well as VGA. So presumably you can display on the TV?

most recorders have TV and VGA outputs so you could put the box somewhere more secure

Cheers. How are they "controlled" generally, i.e. a modern, domestic one. I'm imagining I could sit in front of the TV and do it via a smart phone?

Been looking at Hikvision as a brand, seems to be one of the upcoming ones. Anyone know it?

some DVR's have a remote control, or they can be used with a USB mouse. really, you need to be at the DVR to do much with it, but once you set which cameras you want displayed then you dont need to do much other than turn the monitor / TV on

hikvision seem to have a good name. i have one of their 4mp's sitting next to me waiting to replace a 720 camera. even the 720 / 3mp chinese cameras i have fitted now give a decent image. ill get some screen shots from the hikvision once i get it connected if you want?

Cheers. How are they "controlled" generally, i.e. a modern, domestic one. I'm imagining I could sit in front of the TV and do it via a smart phone?

Been looking at Hikvision as a brand, seems to be one of the upcoming ones. Anyone know it?
You got ant links to the hikvision DVRs,?

I need something a lot less complicated than the 16ch DS I currently have, 

You got ant links to the hikvision DVRs,?

I need something a lot less complicated than the 16ch DS I currently have, 

No, no links per se, just been Googling here there and everywhere, on eBay & some review sites and they appear up and coming etc.

More to the point, what's wrong with the one you have (vaguely remember you getting it)? Will it cope with modern hi-res cameras? Might take it off you if you're interested? What model etc.

No, no links per se, just been Googling here there and everywhere, on eBay & some review sites and they appear up and coming etc.

More to the point, what's wrong with the one you have (vaguely remember you getting it)? Will it cope with modern hi-res cameras? Might take it off you if you're interested? What model etc.

didnt steptoe have an analogue recorder? that would be useless with digital IP cameras

I have no idea , :C

Ask @Badger

He knows what I have, 

This Hikvision for instance, I like the way it has RJ45 sockets for the PoE cameras rather than BNC. So you still need a balun on long runs?

Simultaneous output to HDMI & VGA on some models. 

http://m.lightinthebox.com/hikvision-ds-7608n-e2-8p-8ch-poe-embedded-nvr-for-hd-ip-camera_p4704703.html?currency=GBP&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&sku=444_7419&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&adword_mt=&adword_ct=84532451834&adword_kw=&adword_pos=1o1&adword_pl=&adword_net=g&adword_tar=&adw_src_id=1810908567_303070514_21766383914_pla-205123628714&gclid=CLGXnKzt5M4CFa8W0wodWwgBlg

Keep reading "this is not a grey import". 

Knowing very little about the subject if I bought the one in the link say would I curse later for features it doesn't have but that I might need?

Last edited by a moderator:
from looking about, it would seem hikvision dont like sellers in china sending to other countries, so they make the firmware specific to the country of sale, so a grey import will work, but it will be chinese with no english option

probably not such an issue if you can read chinese though

some recorders are POE an have a different port per camera. never used that setup, but it looks fairly simple of plug in each camera to the relevant port and your done (assuming you use the same manufacturer camera as recorder). mine are set up with each camera back to patch panel then into switch, with each camera having its own static IP and the recorder / PC set up that way

look at what recording capacity it can take. generally, you can only use the max channels available at a lower resolution, start adding higher resolution cameras and the total channels available drops.

probably best to think of how many cameras you want and at what resolution, then find a recorder that can take that, along with a possibility of extra channels incase you decided to add more

Definitely want 16 channels. But what res? Hoping I might have a source for ex commercial cameras that have been replaced by upgrades.

Latest posts