Which Make of Shaver Socket To Use?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1strangefish

Reaction score
Hi All

Some help please.

Shaver socket used for charging a toothbrush, Currently on my second MK socket, which just like the first has cracked across the front face, in the some place. When installing I was extra, extra, extra careful not to over do the screws. Screwfix has some bad press on them saying that the heat generated when in constant use can cause this issue.

Can anyone reccomend a recently purchased good alternative?

Cheers

Fish

in all honesty i normailly buy the cheapest , and i have never had any problems, i sounds like it un even although you have been extra carful when doing up the screws...

i would have thought MK would be as good as your gonna get... ? would a metel version be out of the question?

Do you leave the toothbrush charger plugged in all the time?

If you do there really is no need - my toothbrush will go 10 days to a fortnight without recharging!

Hi Apache

In more frequently now the kids are using it (cuts 10 days to 2) then I have to remember to unplug the thing. It its on a single tile and as best I can tell its fairly square and even.

At

I've fitted all sorts of shaver sockets, Legrand, Tenby, Cheap unknown brands, ones built into Luminaire shaver lights, Legrand Shaver lights and others. So far, there's not that many that have failed AFAIAA.

Just pick one and fit it, the cheap Tenby one in one of the bathrooms here was put in 12+ years ago and has something plugged into it for most of that time and it still works fine.

You'll probably find most of the internals are pretty much the same, if not identical.

Hi AllSome help please.

Shaver socket used for charging a toothbrush, Currently on my second MK socket, which just like the first has cracked across the front face, in the some place. When installing I was extra, extra, extra careful not to over do the screws. Screwfix has some bad press on them saying that the heat generated when in constant use can cause this issue.

Can anyone reccomend a recently purchased good alternative?

Cheers

Fish
How old is the socket?

have you tried contacting the manufacturer stating your complaint?

I have never had a problem with ANY shaver socket! :|

The current drawn is so negligible I cant see that heat is an issue?

e.g.

Typical toothbrush charger 15ma - 20ma,

Electric shaver 2ma - 5ma,

is the appliance you are plugging in faulty?

How much current is your toothbrush charger drawing?

we have one plugged in virtually constantly ..

probably been in for 7 years + now

don't get ANY heat! :(

Are the electrical screw terminations, (the ones holding the wires in),

tight on the back of the socket?

:|

Here's a very cheap alternative for you... although it might be a little bit inconvenient!

Cut the 2 pin plug off the toothbrush charger and fit a 3 pin plug with a 3A fuse fitted, then plug it in a socket in your bedroom!

****WARNING, DO NOT REPLACE YOUR SHAVER SOCKET WITH A 3 PIN SOCKET****

The Crabtree ones are fine, but never had issues with MK ones either.

Hi Guys

Firstly thanks for all the replys, sorry in the delay, but a blight of D's & V's followed by Man flu and then the dreaded 1/2 term got the better of me!

I had the MK installed for about a month before the first crack appeared. Then another two weeks before the second crack.

This was the second unit with cracks appearing in exactly the same place. Will take it back to the supplier to see what they say! (worth a try)

I have just bought a douuble insulated transformer (bathroom rated) from TLC for

The GET Ultimate are similar in style to MK and very good quality. I also like the Crabtree ones.

Quite surprised by your issues with MK stuff, it's normally very good. Have you tried contacting MK?