Which storage heater?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeybadger

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone help..... I need to buy some storage rads, are some makes better than others or they all fairly maintenance free? Obviously Dimplex are the market leader and the most expensive but are they really any better than Creda, Elnur or Stiebel Eltron :)

That is a good question, I'll be interested to see some of the responses later.

The Godfather

Dimplex and Creda are the better known, however these days all modern storage heaters are far more enegy efficient than even a few years ago.

Stiebel Eltron offer a two year standard guarantee on most of their products, and most do I suppose.

I have had no experiance of fitting any other make than creda and dimplex so could not comment on the others, my advise would to see them and touch them, looking on websites could make it look really good but be very tinny when you get them home.

Is there much difference in the appearance and 'build quality' of the front covers etc between the different manufactures? I have seen some heaters at friends houses that appear very thin metal panels, didn't look very robust at all, I cannot recall the make though.

Doc H.

We always use Creda (sunhouse) readily available round here and not had a faulty one yet :)

wasn't there talk of banning these ozone eaters?
I think you're right. My understanding is that they are not to be permitted in new builds due to the new regs. (?Part L). If I'm wrong no doubt someone will correct me.

wasn't there talk of banning these ozone eaters?
Why Ozone eaters? It uses cheap rate electric as the turbines at the power station which still need to be running due to the long start up and shutdown procedure. If you are in the house all the time it strikes me as a cost effective quick and easy heating solution that will last a long time compared to a gas boiler - which nowadays seem to need replacing every 8-10 years.

If you are looking for ozone eaters - how about the plethora of halogen ceiling spots. In some places you can feel the heat coming down from the ceiling, and the level of brightness is such that you can almost see peoples bones through their skin!

They are marketed as the cheapest electrical heating solution.

So I doubt there is a need to ban something that professes such green issues.

Have used them all and repaired them all. Dont like dimplex or creda. Best heater Ive installed is Robinson Willey who I think offer 3 year guarantee and send their own guys out. Simple to install without even removing elements. However the price of these have shot up for some reason.