Which Thermostat is Best Please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LizMac42

Reaction score
Hi Experts
I have electric underfloor heating in my retirement apartment. There is a thermostat in every room ( see pic) which I am told has a probe which controls only temperature of electric coils. I want to replace the one in the lounge with a thermostat which controls room temperature. Can anyone advise me which type and brand would be best and a ball park cost of reasonable supply and fit by electrician?

View attachment 14893

Hi Experts
I have electric underfloor heating in my retirement apartment. There is a thermostat in every room ( see pic) which I am told has a probe which controls only temperature of electric coils. I want to replace the one in the lounge with a thermostat which controls room temperature. Can anyone advise me which type and brand would be best and a ball park cost of reasonable supply and fit by electrician?

View attachment 14893
Thermostat should monitor room temperature as well as the floor temperature, or at least the ones I've fitted have done so.

I would find out the make and model of your existing thermostat first..
and double check the manufactures documentation to see if can already do what you want by just changing a few settings?

As Binky said a lot of underfloor heating thermostats have both a room sensor and connections for a floor probe already built in...
You just have to set it up for your preferred mode of operation...

I have been told by manager of retirement complex that they don't control room temperature and mine certainly do not bear any relation to my room thermometer. Can anyone recommend any good brands for searching for one and would they just be described as 'thermostats'?

Doesn't have a name on it

Attachments

• 20221114_112756.jpg
    20221114_112756.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. Have it checked out. I had a relative in a retirement apartment and the standard of installations and finishing left a lot to be desired and was clearly unchecked. It's perfectly conceivable to me that you have wiring errors which could account for the behaviour you describe.

I have been told by manager of retirement complex that they don't control room temperature and mine certainly do not bear any relation to my room thermometer. Can anyone recommend any good brands for searching for one and would they just be described as 'thermostats'?

Doesn't have a name on it

You need someone to isolate the power...
Open up, (take off the wall), one of your thermostats to see if there are any manufactures identification / model numbers on the back of it..

Also need to check:-
{1} power rating of the heating mat.. i.e. what current rating a replacement thermostat must be able to switch on/off without damaging the device.
{2} how deep the back-box is..
{3} and verify that the existing heating element is not damaged,, (continuity & insulation resistance).

There are numerous thermostats that can monitor room and/or floor probe temperature...
But some may need a deeper back-box than you already have?

Unfortunately we are limited as to what we can suggest without knowing a bit more hands-on info...

Your profile says Shropshire?
Maybe if you put the first part of your postcode someone on here may be able to help..
or know someone who could help??

Hi LizMac42
The photo is slightly blurred ,but looks like a

living heating M1 Manual Thermostat, £19:99 inc. vat. Just (Google it) This shows all connections etc .

PLEASE NOTE: All thermostats come with a floor probe and it is recommended to monitor the temperature via the floor sensor. For loads over 16 amps additional thermostats or a relay snubber switch must be used.

If the floor gets too hot , this can cause you to feel unwell and faint !! So make sure you get an electrician to change and commission the replacement .

Hope this helps

Attachments

• M100-turn-dial-thermostats-250822.jpg
    M100-turn-dial-thermostats-250822.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 0
  • M100-turn-dial-thermostats-250822-1.jpg
    M100-turn-dial-thermostats-250822-1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 0
Check Amazon also for thermostat , Ketotek £15:99

see added photo

Attachments

• 617KgtpT1BL._AC_SL1000_.jpg