Whirlpool AWO 3561 washing machine (AWO3561) has a loud thudding noise when spinning

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apache,

You seem to have more than half a brain cell, you are able to type, it seems, so you have not cut your fingers off with your wood working machines, so I suspect that you are capable of changing a couple of bearings in a washing m/c!

As has already been said, take some digital pictures, the other thing, & I do this regularly is get a pen & some masking tape & mark the connections & where they come from.

The worst part will be the extraction & the refitting of the bearings.

Getting them out it don't matter if you damage them.

When you are putting it back together it obviously does.

Here, a hot air paint stripper can be handy.

Bearings are not as tight a fit on the both diameters, one is always slightly looser than the other not that it seems that way most of the time.

Also on a machine like this one bearing will be fixed & one "floating" to accommodate thermal changes in the shaft length etc.

If you can figure out what is what on the bearings, shafts, housings, etc then you can use this to your advantage when fitting the bearings.

Anyway, depending on the layout, you heat the bit that needs to be bigger with the hot air paint stripper, e.g. to get the bearing onto the shaft heat the bearing.

If you need to get the bearing into the housing then heat the housing.

are the basics.

Don't overheat the bearings, but they should be hot enough that they are uncomfortable to touch.

Remember even steel commences structural changes as low as 100 deg C in certain alloy forms.

I would also recommend that you fit bearings with rubbing seals each side often known with the suffix 2RS.

These seals are also often rubber!

This will also limit the temperature to which you can heat the bearings.

You only need to increase the diameters by a thou or 2, this does not take much heating due to the co-efficient of expansion of the steel and the fact that the bearing is a circle!

If this is done right they will literally fall into place.

Obviously be careful of any plastic parts or other stuff that could be damaged by the heat.

Update - washing machine parts ordered Sunday night from http://shop.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/ arrived with me Wednesday. Couldn't wait to give it a go so caused chaos in the sitting room by dismantling the washing machine. Got the bearings stripped out and refitted relatively easily. Was out Thursday night so just finished reassembly and plumbed back in tonight [after some fireworks].

Seems to be working OK and very much quieter! Your guys help was invaluable as was the Haynes Washing machine manual. :D

Thanks for all input.

Veterinary Surgeon & washing machine repair man :D

Latest posts