Will energy saving lamps run on a generator??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lillpete

Reaction score
I've been asked to install a few bulk head light fittings in a stable block, they've got a small generator (cheapy screwfix not sure on exact output but I think 850w or less) just wondering if I can spec low energy CFL??

the issue is that they want a flood on the end of the building which I think would be too much for the generator if there are already eight 60W lamps running.

Apache makes a very good point, cheap generators are lacking in constant output, this could and does effect lighting, especially when they decide to plug in any power tool. I would stick to the lowest effective output you can, to reduce the flicker you will get.

Thats what I was thinking, regarding filament lamps working better with fluctuations just worried about the load with 8 lamps plus flood

How many horses? We had 4 stables, a feed room and a store for hay and straw. We ran either the 6*100W lamps OR the 500W flood. Each on it's own circuit [read 13A plug] so couldn't use together.

Or spend a couple of hundred on a decent genny that puts out something resembling a sine wave?

I've been looking at wind turbines but don't think they'll go for it,

8x 60 = 480 + 150 = 630w total

So might be ok as is :)

I need to check what the output of the geny is.

Generally generators like being loaded to at least 70%. They don't like, (and can be detrimental to it's life expectancy) low loading. Generators tend to be selected/matched to the load they are expected to carry...

Latest posts