Windows Laptop To 15" Mac Pro

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Windows laptop Aspire 5742G is now 2 years old, I have upgraded to a 500GB SSD and its still working well, but I like to change every couple of years so I have been looking at the 15" Mac Pro with 250GB SSD i7 CPU, my only concern is I work between Desktop with Windows 8.1, Office 365, IET Bookshelf,  and current laptop running the same.

If I switch to a Mac Pro will Office 365 and the IET Bookshelf work or would I need to install something like Parallels.

I know there are some well educated Mac user's, so hopefully you advise. 

Use Linux instead of Crapples poor rip off *nix OS,   ;)  

Although I'm sure a fan boi will be along soon to explain how you can mash 2bad OS's together,   :slap

I'm a fan of "if it ain't broke....."

So a 2 year old lappie working perfectly, I would just keep it.

I practice what I preach. Still using XP here. It does what I want.

my HP lappie [4G RAM] is about 6yo , fires up and runs way waaaaaay faster than the wifes 2yo all singing dancing [4G] lappie running w7,

my shed pc is circa 2000 with 1G and fires up faster and runs faster than the wifes lappie,

Ive even got an old Dell on dual boot [512K] running XP and Linux and it runs really well too, not so fast on XP but flies on Linux [only very slightly slower than the wifes lappie]

I believe you will have to buy everything again.

I have seen an ad for office 365 that offered two types, one for MAC and one for PC

My Samsung R530 lappy runs WAY faster on Zorin 8.1 (Ubuntu base) than it ever did on Windows 7. The old desktop too, mind that does now have an SSD as well as being Zorin'd!

Good choice Steve.

I got a mac book pro retina display 15" when it first come out.

I run windows with parallels just to use easy cert. It works perfectly.

I had issues getting the Megger software to work, but i got the hump as they wanted money before i even got it installed so i switched to Easycert.

I use Neo Office, but you can get windows office for mac or whatever its called. Neo office does everything i need.

Its the fastest best laptop/computer i have ever used. When my mother needed to replace her old macbook she got one the same and again has run it without a problem. No needing me to fix or do anything it just works.

It works and does it all quickly, i believe this will last me another 3-5 years and i have had it 2 already.

You will not be disappointed, its an amazing machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Office 365 is cloud based and you can install it onto 5 machines, the on pc versions are better in my opinion and the do a mac version although I understand it behaves differently to the Windows version.

The IET regs will be fine on the MAC as long as you stay within your 2+2 licence restrictions.

The Bookshelf app is free anyway.
Sidewinder, thanks, yes I would pull the licence off the windows laptop.

I think I may go for it at the end of September when I get back from a little time off in Cyprus.

I've been a Windows man since Dos and always thought Mac's were built not to be modified, most say they don't need modifying, but I've always built my own PC's to a very high standard, way over the top for what I need but I just enjoyed building them and upgrading hardware as better came along.

I do like the feel and they feel solid unlike the acer which gets really hot if streaming full screen, have to have it on wedge.

Time will tell  :innocent

Last edited by a moderator:
remember,

not only does crapple monitor what you do even more than windoze,

it also limits what you are able to do as well, unless you pay a lot of money,

and, even then it will still limit some stuff that you most deffo CANNOT do.

try

HACKINTOSH

a true MAC experience the way it should be, still the same OS but without the limitations, the way *nix was designed,

oh, sorry, it still has some of the limitations that the OS determines, but a lot more freedom, and without crapple monitoring you.

Macbuntu? Or Zorin Premium with the look changer set to Mac?
cracked iOS that will run on a PC without needing crapples backfeed from the HW to work.

Ive tried it previously, couldnt get on with it after using Ubuntu, was too much of a mash between Ubuntu/Linux and still trying to be close to windows,

I suppose it needs to do something to justify the price charge from free *nix [ubuntu etc] to massively overpriced *nix [iOS]

cracked iOS that will run on a PC without needing crapples backfeed from the HW to work.

Ive tried it previously, couldnt get on with it after using Ubuntu, was too much of a mash between Ubuntu/Linux and still trying to be close to windows,

I suppose it needs to do something to justify the price charge from free *nix [ubuntu etc] to massively overpriced *nix [iOS]
Someone else is looking to release an all conquering OS...........based on guess what?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/china-release-government-sponsored-operating-system-october-rival-062631113.html#hsxoTnU

Someone else is looking to release an all conquering OS...........based on guess what?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/china-release-government-sponsored-operating-system-october-rival-062631113.html#hsxoTnU
what else would you expect,

first, you have the best OS,

then you modify it to a very user friendly Ubuntu,

then you have crapples overpriced very good version of it

next you have microshites overpriced crap version of it

might as well give the chooks a go at doing somthing with it too.