windoze

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steptoe

of course Im wrong, ask my wife™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
who in there right mind would actually use it?

just spent nearly all yesterday evening and tonight trying to sort out the SIL laptop with W7

it crashed with a blue screen, and local shop said it was dead, as did her cousin, it was in the wifes boot, so, me being the good BIL thought he'd take a look,

booted Ubuntu live and did a system check, found loads of bad disc sectors etc, so I locked them out,

told her I need to wipe it, and no worries.

loaded ubuntu and it flies, 4G ram and quad core 2+ speed thingie,

anyway, spent all evening trying to put W7 back on it and WTF, it is slow as hell, my 8year OLD 512ram dell inspiron 1.6 boots up and runs faster on ubuntu than this top of the range thing does on W7......!

I really dont get it, I was getting so frustrated with it,

why do people put up with such a laggy system?

BTW, it took over 4hours to install W7 inc updates, ubuntu is <1, and taking into account I dont have a fast connection, W7 is still slow.

Just had a quick peek at the ubuntu website, would appear a bit basic in design, or is that the beauty of it that makes it quicker?
download it, burn it onto a CD as a .iso file , and you can boot your computer up into it and run it off the CD !

OK, its gonna be slow as it can only go as fast as your CD drive, but that just shows how versatile and slick it can be simply be running off a CD, now, imagine how much faster and better it is running off your actual hard drive...

even on older stuff like I use it is FAST,

my newest PC was kindly donated to me by a fellow member and is a rocket ship running Ubuntu, its a fairly new PC though with 4G ram, but even my old laptop, as I said, runs faster than W7 on new stuff.

Cent OS site is down for unscheduled maintanence,Is the Mac system only for MAC's or can it be used on a non apple laptop?
well, its only for apple's,

but, there is a thing called hackintosh , I couldnt possibly comment on it, but it is good as far as I have been informed, in fact its almost as good as Linux, :slap

after all, MAC is based on Linux anyway, one of the reasons they are both so much more efficient,

BTW, trying to run MAC on a PC will never be a good solution, if you really want MAC then you have to bite the bullet,

if you want the speed of a MAC, with 'most' of the advantages, use UBUNTU

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:44 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:38 ----------

Anything stripped down will be fast, have a peek at The Modding Scene (TMS) forum, you can get stripped W7 which is ideal for gamers and amazingly fast
the thing is Steve, Ubuntu isnt necessarily stripped down, its just that it doesnt try and run anything without you asking it to, windoze tries to autorun loadsa stuff all the time.

as for stripped down, have you ever done a fresh install of windoze then find hardly anything works so you need to spend the rest of the night downloading drivers?

almost everything works out of the box with Ubuntu, Printers/scanners etc being the major non-compliant thing, but, if you buy right (HP for instance) then they allow their drivers to be used open-source[ie, free], so they work straight up.

Is Ubuntu a GUI for Linux ?

Just as OSX is a GUI for Linux ?

Both can run Linux program's and have terminals with the same Linux commands.

The mac is so good and fast because the hardware and software is designed together by the same people.

I think it's great you guys run Unix based computers and hate windozers.

Have you ever tried Debian, I always loved it more than Ubuntu when I was a user. I found it was like comparing televisionX (Ubuntu) to a hard core under the counter Dutch import VHS (Debian)

pewter, you will find that Ubuntu is actually .deb based

yes, Ubuntu is basically a GUI for debian,

as is OSX, although OSX does copy a lot of its ideas from ubuntu, its dock etc,! isnt that right canoey? ;)

OSX in fairness is probably a little bit slicker, but that comes at a cost, Ubuntu is Free, :D

as is most LINUX flavours,

BTW pewter, apart from Deke, Im probably the most inept PC user on here, and I can cope with it, in fact, Im now on my 3rd week of trying to get my smartphone rooted, and after watching the tutorials about 5 times Im just now getting to grips with how to do it.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:41 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:39 ----------

actually, OSX is probably a LOT slicker, and I dont think the terminal commands are the same, :|

but ask canoeboy, he knows everything to do with puters. :|

Sounds like you know more than I do these days.

I love shouting mac to wind people up.

My misses don't tells me off for winding her and the kids up. So I have to come on here.

Computers are the 21st century religion. More chance of getting a muslim to read the bible then getting a windows lover to step into the light.

Never been a Mac lover, always overpriced in my opinion.

However when you go into a lot of these Graphic studios they all seem to. be using Mac's, but then maybe because it has an easy OS so they can just get on with design instead of trying to get the latest graphics driver to work.

I enjoy building my own PC's and the kids, then the challenge of getting them to work.

My PC has to be tied to the floor it's so fast and running W7, but then it should it cost enough to build.

Don't need the heating on in that room in winter the case fans take care of that.

W7 all the way, bring on 8.

Never been a Mac lover, always overpriced in my opinion.However when you go into a lot of these Graphic studios they all seem to. be using Mac's, but then maybe because it has an easy OS so they can just get on with design instead of trying to get the latest graphics driver to work.

I enjoy building my own PC's and the kids, then the challenge of getting them to work.

My PC has to be tied to the floor it's so fast and running W7, but then it should it cost enough to build.

Don't need the heating on in that room in winter the case fans take care of that.

W7 all the way, bring on 8.
Sorry I'm confused here are you building kids or trying to get them to work?

Out of interest steps, what if any disadvantages are there to using Ubuntu, do I need to change the programs that I use or will it still existing program's work as normal?

well, its only for apple's,but, there is a thing called hackintosh , I couldnt possibly comment on it, but it is good as far as I have been informed, in fact its almost as good as Linux, :slap

Hackintosh works though a boot loader fooling OSx into thinking it's running on Apple (Intel CPU based) hardware, Apple is after all an Intel platform with 40% Steve Jobs tax

BTW, trying to run MAC on a PC will never be a good solution, if you really want MAC then you have to bite the bullet

Not true for the reason I stated above (OK the tax bit was aimed at Canoeboi), Hackintosh is not the solution for the novice, I converted a spare Core 2 PC into a Crapintosh for

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of interest steps, what if any disadvantages are there to using Ubuntu, do I need to change the programs that I use or will it still existing program's work as normal?
No windows programmes will run natively, just like a petrol car wont run on diesel, different engines.

But most programmes have an alternative, often better, depends what you use it for really.

As for advantages, where to start?

Latest posts