Wire enquiry

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudassar08

Reaction score
Hi sparkies!
Just wanted to verify, does anyone know what type of wire this is. Red and black. Thank you.

Last edited:
Looks like VIR which is vulcanised rubber insulated. It was often fine stranded tinned copper cunductors.

My advice is don't disturb it. It often tests great but when you move it or pull the accessory forwards to inspect it the insulation just falls off and for this reason I'd personally recommend rewiring it on sight.

Looks like VIR which is vulcanised rubber insulated. It was often fine stranded tinned copper cunductors.

My advice is don't disturb it. It often tests great but when you move it or pull the accessory forwards to inspect it the insulation just falls off.
Thanks marvo for the snappy response. Uh oh. Is this bad? Should i get a rewire? Another pic

If you're not going to disturb it and if it tests fine then I wouldn't stress immediately but I would start to plan on rewiring the next time you want to make even minor changes to the existing installation. To be honest I wouldn't even move anything around to take more pictures, I'd just refit whatever you've opened up and very carefully.

What were your intentions when you came across this?

On the basis that you’re not a spark then I would say get somebody competent in to review this as photos don’t tell all the story

That's not a meaningful test. You need proper test equipment which is expensive and not easy to use so I'd suggest getting an electrician in and pay him for an hour to do some tests just to confirm the circuits are safe. He'll also be able to advise you much better as to how urgent it is to replace the rubber insulated wiring.

That's not a meaningful test. You need proper test equipment which is expensive and not easy to use so I'd suggest getting an electrician in and pay him for an hour to do some tests just to confirm the circuits are safe. He'll also be able to advise you much better as to how urgent it is to replace the rubber insulated wiring.
Ok will not play with it but my safe question as a diyer is that
How do lights with just live no earth in the switch work? As the neutrals are direct to light fixture...i swear you cant get 1 core cable...

Well when i put the non contact voltage detector near it but not touching it the light lights up. The other cables dont unless i touch them to it.
Hi guys.
New member here i come from Diynot.
Seen a customers kitchen ceiling rose which has 95volts on the earth wire. Its induced voltage from a unconnected cpc. Now the thing is that all the light switches have no earth connection in them except from the kitchens one. Im thinking the earth at the kitchens light is alone without being connected to the earth bar. Now which silly sparky would do that that raises the question. Its a tt but nothing is tripping ofc. Even though its reached the threshold of the elcb trip level Dont know if i should give it a earth or make it plastic.
I see from a different thread you said you were working for a customer...... Are you an electrician working at a customers premises or is this wiring in your own house?

I see from a different thread you said you were working for a customer...... Are you an electrician working at a customers premises or is this wiring in your own house?

Own house in wales

How do lights with just live no earth in the switch work? As the neutrals are direct to light fixture...

Light switches do not need a neutral.
Light switches are single pole.
A single pole switch should only switch the live Not neutral, so there is no need to bring a neutral to a switch to make a light work.
If neutrals are brought via the switch they are connected separately and independent of the switch itself.
Live supply to switch - Switched live to light - Neutral from light back to supply.
Earths should be brought to every accessory position.. but if all accessories are ClassII there is no immediate danger if they are not there on older installations.
Earths were only required on lighting circuits from around 1966 onward.

(Single core cables are readily available and regularly used in situations such as conduit wiring.)

Generally urgent, I rewired a house rebuilt in 1947 having been hit by the Luftwaffe during WWII, that was still all Vir. The main cable lengths were still good, but it was all falling apart at the accessories. So even disturbing the accessories to inspect it was dangerous as that's where the insulation was failing.

Thread closed as OP has "Left the forum"

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts