Fairground Lighting Wiring Confusion

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Bryant

Reaction score
Hi all! Hope someone might have some words of wisdom for me....I have a piece of old hoarding from a fairground ride and was going to wire it up to a plug (and change the bulbs to led) but when I took it apart the wiring connector was wired as:
Black: L1
Red: Earth
Blue: Neutral
Green/Yellow: L2

Which is obviously not what I was expecting to see. I can't tell if the person who wired it up originally just ignored the labelling on the connector of if they actually used Red as the earth for example....does someone have a keen eye for circuits and can tell from the way it looks what is going on?

Many thanks,
BenPXL_20231010_160438883.jpg
PXL_20231010_160446328.jpg
PXL_20231010_153113183.jpg

It looks like that has been wired from various pieces of wire and the colours and plug identification is probably irrelevant. The four pins of the plug have been randomly connected to supply different feeds to the lamp holders. I hope your intention is not to connect a mains voltage to it.

Ah right, got it....maybe so they could make the lights flash in various sequences??....probably best to rewire the whole thing then in that case

I am under the impression most decorative lights used at fairgrounds are 24v.
There is no earth, and that sign looks like it was wired, so it plugs into another sign at both ends and all on 3 channels. (So it can flash/sequence)

Depending on what the fittings are and what you want the end result to be, you might be better off using "Pixels" Click me

Correct, it would have plugged into another similar board adjacent. This particular board is wired with 600v capacity wiring but was running off 110v with old incandescent 10w bulbs in E14 bulb holders. I'll rewire the lot in parallel and change the bulbs to 220-240v led.

What voltage are the lamp holders rated for. To make it safe all those connections require total enclosure.