Wiring up external garage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would perhaps double up on the machinery,a lathe could be running on freefall, so to speak,

or if he is really posh a CNC miller or such like, :D
And now we also need to consider 422.3 onwards. If this is a full blown wood working workshop we have a location with a risk of fire due to processed materials.

Doesn't affect my lathe with florries. Very speed specific I suppose.
its not just 1 speed that it will happen at though.

but either way, he should at least be aware of the possibility of it happening, and the requirements around it

A friend of mine recommends using 10mm armored cable for this distance and the earth in cable will be sufficient. Replacing the B20 RCBO in the house consumer unit to a higher rated RCBO ie B40 or B50 30ma RCBO with a time delay.

What you thinks? is he on the mark?
If you were asked this question for your assessment how would you answer it? I am inclined to think this thread may be a deliberate wind-up? We do have a member who is a Vet able to understand these issues, such as, is there any point putting a ring main in, when you only have a 2.5mm radial supplying it? apdevelopments, Please offer us some factual calculations you have done, a person competent enough to pass 2382 17th should find quite easy, for us to work with. Also I cannot see that you have divulged the earthing arrangements at the outgoing SWA cable end? With a lack of said facts to work with, and if no more is forthcoming, I would suggest this thread is closed, as very little of practical use can come from it with all these unknowns.

Doc H.

Doc, dont you realise this builder has got to have this cable in by tomorrow?

its just that he had a load of 2.5 left from the last job he wanted to check it would be ok to stick it on a 40A MCB to power this new customers workshop for the couple of weeks it took him to get paid.

APD - IF "your friend" is going to tell you what to put in; then get him to sign the necessary paperwork (you learnt which paperwork on the course, I hope). You replied to my post with a question I(and others) had already explained - so you don`t bother to properly read our responses - why should I explain any more????

`Pache - I nominate you as "Best spark that isn`t a spark" award....any prize off Admin`s top shelf :) :) :)

I also know that I am aloud up to 3% voltage drop in the length of cable as I will be fitting a lighting circuit. No problems here as there is only 1volt drop according to my meter readings.
A 1volt drop @ 8amps over 2.5mm would only give you approx 7m of cable. Along your 60ft @ 8amps (G-Wiz Charge!?) you will be nearer 3v and that is before you have put any lights on or plugged any other tools in. As the OP has logged back on around 11:00 today, I can only assume no further practical facts or figures are forthcoming. Without which this thread is going nowhere.

Doc H.

Status
Not open for further replies.