Wow, wow, wow

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He dismissed me  stating they can get a Asian guy  who does them in 20 mins  as long as he gets all the follow up work .         

I tell my clients to get a competitive quote against my report .................. because I charge the correct amount to do them and I'm not reliant on remedial work to cover the shortfall

that’s what the robbing CPSs want you to think

As a landlord (accidental I might add and I hate it btw 😂) I was aware of the new rules coming in for new tenants as of just recently and then new tenants as of April 2021. I naively assumed the powers that be would have got it all right, there would be complete clarity etc. Tbh when I heard the schemes would be introducing yet another fee based scheme for existing, qualified members (like you etc) I just thought rip off but what can you do! 

I'd still like to know if my C&G certs from the 2330 qualify me to test and inspect. If not what is the point of it. Pretty sure one says it on it.

Not that I'll be doing it on this EICR I need now. Looking like I'll have to get the letting agent to organise it 🙁 I wanted someone I knew but my mate has left NAPIT. His mate's mate simply hasn't come back to me. Sparks my brother uses is still self isolating due to a condition. Thought they'd have jumped at it being an empty property/modern tidy board. Waiting too for a response from someone on here. 

I don't know how many times I have been told by someone (usually who has just bought or are thinking of buying a house) that it needs rewiring. I usually ask 'who told you that?' and the culprit is usually an estate agent or a surveyor. In most cases it requires a few improvements such as bonding and sometimes a board change. Fed up of people (BG worst) pointing out plastic CUs and deeming them 'illegal'. Glad I don't do domestic.

I don't know how many times I have been told by someone (usually who has just bought or are thinking of buying a house) that it needs rewiring. I usually ask 'who told you that?' and the culprit is usually an estate agent or a surveyor. In most cases it requires a few improvements such as bonding and sometimes a board change. Fed up of people (BG worst) pointing out plastic CUs and deeming them 'illegal'. Glad I don't do domestic.

pretty much the same here. very rare that i find somewhere that does actually need a rewire. usually just needs a bit work like new board, bonding, some new acceessories etc. about the only time id recommend that when it doesnt really need it would be if the place is getting refurbished

Wow indeed. If its not broken and passes with flying colours. Why bother changing just cause you can quote a new reg.

Reg - Definition: Thief, to make a thief rich.

I did a board change for a mate recently, "does it need a rewire?" he asked, I thought for a minute then replied, "well it all depends" he looked at me then said, "depends on what, either it does or it doesn't" , He was amazed when I explained that as it stood, I could either pretend I was recently qualified and since it wasn't wired to the 18th ( the wiring is over 20 years old but not messed with) I could tell him it certainly needed a rewire at a cost of several thousand pounds, or I could use my experience, and my test gear and advise a few relatively cheap improvements, oddly enough he went for the second option.

Regarding unswitched sockets, I recently saw another EICR which had listed unswitched sockets as non compliant, which strikes me as a little odd because I distinctly remember reading something a bit back about isolation and iirc up to 16A you could simply pull the plug, is this some kind of new scam I wonder because I can think of a number of situations where an unswitched socket would be preferable to a switched one, freezers for example.

Regarding unswitched sockets, I recently saw another EICR which had listed unswitched sockets as non compliant, which strikes me as a little odd because I distinctly remember reading something a bit back about isolation and iirc up to 16A you could simply pull the plug, is this some kind of new scam I wonder because I can think of a number of situations where an unswitched socket would be preferable to a switched one, freezers for example.

People are just used to sockets with a switch, so unswitched sockets just confuses them  :shakehead

For freezers / fridges and the like, I woud totally agree an unswitched socket is preferrable, and still legal.