Xmas presents....back in the day

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG!!!!   Do H&S  know about this ? 

Shhhhhh!

don't tell them.... :innocent

I think we need to all buy a steam engine then organise a day of forum steam races..

see who can get their Mamod to go the fastest!

I never had one in my childhood...

but one of my best friends did...

I was most jealous!!!  :eek: :Blushing

Shhhhhh!

don't tell them.... :innocent

I think we need to all buy a steam engine then organise a day of forum steam races..

see who can get their Mamod to go the fastest!

I never had one in my childhood...

but one of my best friends did...

I was most jealous!!!  :eek: :Blushing

or

we could build  them,,,,,

I still have my train set , its in my mums loft, still in box, along with most all the other bits I got for it at birthdays etc,

I remember getting my first new bike, I was about 12 or 13, 

Living in the country we went potato gathering every year, and half the money went to Santa, was put in a 'Foxes glacier fruits' jar on Xmas Eve for his elves. 

Even at an older age when the magic was lost, the tradition went on, we simply never had the sort of money where my mum and dad could buy me a new bike , some of the best presents I ever had were the ones my dad did up.
That sounds familiar .  NEW BIKE!!!   What was one of those ?   they were passed down , no idea where they started off !!    Most of us built a bike from , say, a frame and one wheel  , save your paper round money to buy a bit more or scrounge/obtain /acquire bits  until it was finished.TBH .We were all experts at puncture repairs etc.  

I stripped a Sturmey Archer hub gear down once , big mistake ,  bits everywhere , not a clue .   My uncle called round , took one look and promptly re-assembled it.  

I wasn't aware at the time that most of Mom's family had worked in the massive Birmingham Cycle trade , Hercules etc .  

There was one lad at school ran a bike parts shop from his dad's garage. Any part you wanted, he had it.

thinking back, that was probably where all the stolen bikes ended up.....

Well, FK it, I'm well carrotted off now,

Next project,

Build a steam turbine, or some such contraption,

Just need to get finished the multitude of projects already started,

@Blue Duck may need your help with my marquee,,,,,,, :)

Almost there with the arcade machine now, have all the wiring sorted and marquee lights fitted, LEDs connected and working,

View attachment 7768

On the subject of toys of olde, I never realised that Mr Hornby - the man of trains, was also responsible for the Mecanno construction sets, I will admit, loved  Mecanno used to think I was a genius when I'd accomplished a build, truth is I'd never have been able to do it without the instructions, but then I was only young

!

just reminiscing......

I hadn't subbuteo 

do you you know why it's called that?

inventor was a keen ornithologist and wanted to,call,it Hobby

HOBBY was already registered

HOBBY is a type of Bird

latin name BUTEO

so a sub species would be SUB-BUTEO

simples
Class. 

I love useless information, you got a scoob for that. I always assumed it was some exotic italian word. Come to think of it, latin was italian lol.

I hadn't subbuteo 

do you you know why it's called that?

inventor was a keen ornithologist and wanted to,call,it Hobby

HOBBY was already registered

HOBBY is a type of Bird

latin name BUTEO

so a sub species would be SUB-BUTEO

simples
Love it !    My head is also full of such useless knowledge  ....in fact I think it is full up  . Now I have to empty something out so I can add this . 

Here goes ....Did you know there was a somewhat disturbing film called the Rocking Horse Winner , made in the 1940s I think,  B&W , a small boy has a present of a rocking horse ,  when he rides it he somehow predicts the winner of forthcoming horse races .   

The small boy was a John Howard Davies  ,  he grew up to produce  Monty Python  &  Fawty Towers. 

And the lady who acted his mother was married to John Profumo , who was the government Minister for War in the 1960s ....he was sleeping with call girls  Christine Keeler & Mandy Rice Davis who , in turn were sleeping with a Russian spy whose name escapes me . 

Why do I retain this stuff ?????     :C  

Last edited by a moderator:
Philips Radionics electronic kit, got the basic one for Xmas and the expansion kit for my birthday. Think I've just got the books left now. 

I got a Black and Decker Jigsaw for my 9th Christmas, I was always into tools, I think I only got it because my dad wanted one,it's one of the strange tales in the new book I'm writing.