Y plan woes...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the doctor

Part P Doctor ™
Reaction score
hi all,

i am an electrician of many years experience and have done teaching for quite a while also.

I know most things electrical but have one lil' problem.Blushing

I can wire and understand S plans and the like with two port valves. However I just wire Y plans as a wire by numbers exercise. Can someone in forumland give me a lay explination covering.

The reasoning for three cores to the tank stat (heat call and heat satisfied)

The reasoning for the heating off output needed at the programmer

Where does the valve default to when everything is off.

How does it stall at the mid position

What the exact functions of putting supplies to various colours at the valve

I have looked at many diagrams and sort of know it but do not truly understand it in my heart- if you know what i mean Blushing

Thanking you in anticipation

Alan

The reasoning for three cores to the tank stat (heat call and heat satisfied).

call to open valve,

satisfied to close valve.

programmer goes off on timed and shuts the valve on grey.

default is closed on heating .

How does it stall at the mid position,

god knows how but when both hot water/heating are calling valve is central.

blue, neutral.

g/yellow, earth

white, 28 mm only.

grey, satisfied/hot water only

orange. power to boiler/pump when heat calling and stats calling heating and hot water.

Really nice find, and explains a few things.

I normally wire them from memory, but have never understood the reasons why if you know what I mean.

This shows in a graphic that we can all follow.

a lucky find . :)

i tried to download it but its a flash so i cant pinch it lol..

a lucky find . :) i tried to download it but its a flash so i cant pinch it lol..
Although you could right click your "here" link above and then "save link as" to your desktop.....

How does it stall at the mid position,

god knows how but when both hot water/heating are calling valve is central.
The valve motors are synchronous which means they need the AC to make them rotate. The valves have mid position switches, diodes and resistors to apply current limited DC to the motor which locks it in the open positions. A big spring makes it close when the power is removed.

It's pretty clever really.

Anyone who does work on heating systems will know that many plumbers and heating engineers never get their heads round the controls.

RF thermostats are ace.

The valve motors are synchronous which means they need the AC to make them rotate. The valves have mid position switches, diodes and resistors to apply current limited DC to the motor which locks it in the open positions. A big spring makes it close when the power is removed.It's pretty clever really.

Anyone who does work on heating systems will know that many plumbers and heating engineers never get their heads round the controls.

RF thermostats are ace.
as long as it works its fine. its just awkward if it doesnt work!

The valve motors are synchronous which means they need the AC to make them rotate. The valves have mid position switches, diodes and resistors to apply current limited DC to the motor which locks it in the open positions. A big spring makes it close when the power is removed.It's pretty clever really.

RF thermostats are ace.
And many sparks too.

hi all,i am an electrician of many years experience and have done teaching for quite a while also.

I know most things electrical but have one lil' problem.Blushing

I can wire and understand S plans and the like with two port valves. However I just wire Y plans as a wire by numbers exercise. Can someone in forumland give me a lay explination covering.

The reasoning for three cores to the tank stat (heat call and heat satisfied)

How does it stall at the mid position

I have looked at many diagrams and sort of know it but do not truly understand it in my heart- if you know what i mean Blushing

Thanking you in anticipation

Alan
Alan,

I have been on a really helpful day course with Honeywell which covers both the S & Y plans. You get to practice wiring some plans up on boards and also get to know a bit more about the Honeywell systems in general, Part L etc.

As I said its a day course between 9-5 and you will get an attendance certificate lunch, teas, coffees, etc all included. ALL for just

Alan,I have been on a really helpful day course with Honeywell which covers both the S & Y plans. You get to practice wiring some plans up on boards and also get to know a bit more about the Honeywell systems in general, Part L etc.

As I said its a day course between 9-5 and you will get an attendance certificate lunch, teas, coffees, etc all included. ALL for just

once u have figured out the y and s plan adding extra zones is just a case of drawing it out and general common sense.

can be frustrating though .. lol.

it was very common years ago for plumbers to wire there own heatings because sparkies could not figure them out .