Two questions about Solar PV, MCS and FIT

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Having done 1 system, I want to find out more, so a couple of questions:

What's involved in becoming MCS acredited? i.e what are the prerequisite qualifications for doing the course, what's the cost and duration, and what are the ongoing costs after getting acredited?

Secondly, is the FIT available to EVERYONE irrespective of who their DNO is?

That may sound a silly question but what I'm getting at is I do the wiring for a local builder who builds eco houses, and I'm wondering whether to try and get him interested in fitting solar PV to them. That would obviously mean me geting MCS acredited, which would depend on costs as we only do 2 or 3 of these a year so it may be prohibitive.

But secondly, where a lot of them go, the supply on site is maintained and administered by the park owner, so the park owner is the DNO effectively. The park is connected to the grid, but would the FIT rate still be available?

Are you two related ?
Yes, unfortunately,

he is my illegitimate offspring,

his mother left and never told me who she was, so here I am holding the baby!

it was a 20second stand, and I never even got her name, just a manky kebab!

gawd how I wish I hadnt rushed that last pint now!

have a look at his signature,

bloody nuisance he is too, always asking me how to do this, do that, youd think he could wire a 13amp plug by now!!!!!!

I did the "drive by" too.

BTW; it doesn`t matter who your current provider is - you can register with anybody that`ll have you !!!

One of the best around seems to be SSE - most of our jobs are registered through them - though most of the customers aren`t with them!

Thanks for the info. Lots of different opinions.

I don't like the sound of the paperwork side, paperwork never was my favourite occupation.

On the site i'm thinking of, the customers supply meters are all in site owned locked cabinets, not in the actual houses, I don't know if it's relevant, but from what I've seen when the cabinets are open, they are all old clockwork meters.

I know the sparks who does all the site distribution electrics so maybe I'll ask him about FIT's and see what he knows. It's supposed to be an eco friendly community, yet of 300 or so houses I haven't seen any with solar PV. Plenty with solar thermal for hot water.

Clockwork meters are great (until they come out to replace `em......they run backwards, effectively selling the generated leccy at the same price as you buy it, rather than the 3p you`re supposed to get!!!!!

Providers` problem - they should know what meter is in the premises, and replace it if necessary. ;)

the funny thing is on the form it asks if the meter has been running back since it was fitted,

well, NO, of course it hasnt, I only turned it on 5mins ago so it unlikely to be running backwards.

:slap

I had had a call out somewhere a few weeks ago where they had solar PV installed in March or April.

They only started paying for elecric in October, they were well chuffed because as well as getting the fit payments, their meter was going backwards

if it's 300 houses surely they have 300 meters?? or did I miss something?

Paperwork is pain - buy a system it will save you weeks of hard work. Not too bad to run, but irritating to a small outfit as it is basically ISO9000 which is aimed at medium to large outfits.

I don't count valleys as roof edges (could be wrong) as the 300mm gap is prevent wind lift around edge of roof.

Does your meter run backwards. Is on the NPower fit form!! If memory serves me right... :D

if it's 300 houses surely they have 300 meters?? or did I miss something?Paperwork is pain - buy a system it will save you weeks of hard work. Not too bad to run, but irritating to a small outfit as it is basically ISO9000 which is aimed at medium to large outfits.

I don't count valleys as roof edges (could be wrong) as the 300mm gap is prevent wind lift around edge of roof.
that and maintenance I think, you dont need to leave a gap between your roof and next door if its a semi.

There is one in Manchester too, I fitted a system 3doors down amd this guy wanted me to commision it for him,

Panels over ridge and gutter, even on next doors roof, terrace house.

He had done it himself, but didnt know what wires went where at the inverter!

NO isolators anywhere!

Last edited by a moderator: