Ion Video Forever On Linux

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For now I've given up with getting the Firewire card to work in this PC running Zorin! That was mainly to transfer the Mini-DV tapes. More urgently I also have a collection of much older 8mm  tapes I want to get into a transportable format to show my elderly Mum. Various health issues with the old faculties sadly rapidly diminishing so hoping the old video footage of her/the kids might spark something!

Anyway, I've bought an ION Video Forever unit from Currys:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/components-upgrades/graphic-tv-cards/tv-cards/ion-video-forever-digital-video-converter-21429255-pdt.html

My old Canon 8mm camcorder bit the dust but I've managed to get a pristine Hitachi one in full working order on for reasonable money.

As ever, the software doesn't at first appear to work with Linux. But, reading this link below am I right that someone has gotten it to work?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/components-upgrades/graphic-tv-cards/tv-cards/ion-video-forever-digital-video-converter-21429255-pdt.html

If all else fails I'll have to badger my 15 year old into doing on his all singing, all dancing Windows 7 machine.

Cheers

yep,

seems they simply enforced the card into a module,

as its already VLC compatible then it seems a pretty simple thing to do.

how far away from ubuntu 13.04 is zorin ?

Ive actually recently put Lubuntu on an old PC and it flies.!  :eek:   far faster than I thought it would be, I'll wait and see how its still running in a month when Ive hung a few apps on it.

Zorin 8.1 is based on Ubuntu 13.10. Then there's the LTS Zorin 6.4 that's based on Ubuntu 12.04. With the cheapo SSD in this PC has a new lease of life speed wise.

If I run VLC on the Zorin pc I can't "see" the camcorder or capture etc.

Did play some tapes just on the camcorder from circa 98. Mum's deterioration between then and now is shocking and then some.

USB lead that plugs into the pc. Other end of the lead had x3 phono plugs (red, white sopund & composite video on yellow) and one S-video. Mid lead is a box with a push button on.

Getting somewhere maybe; as per the link I bring up the terminal and enter:

sudo modprobe em28xx card=9

echo eb1a 5124 | sudo tee /sys/bus/usb/drivers/em28xx/new_id

I then start VLC and go Media / Open Capture Device and then Play I'm getting sound AND video from as the camcorder plays. Quality is a bit naff though! Seems the terminal commands are only temporary though.

Getting somewhere using "gucvcview" from the Software Centre. Quality viewed is better than that with VLC and even been able to record some test clips. Got some odd horizontal lines both on the camcorder screen and when recorded. Like an old time "tracking issue". Maybe because the tapes being played were recorded on another make of camera or that they're old tapes that are degrading! 

Cheers all!