It Wasnt That Sunny Today, Was It?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It says the fire service used dry powder and CO2 on it.

It was my understanding that powder was only suitable for voltages common for LV distribution, not sure what the stated value was but I thought that using it on a large size PV was risky?

So as the green lobby has seen to it that BCF/halon is no longer permitted, that leaves CO2... which isn't much use outside on a windy day!

*awaits comments from M107...*

Halon............apart from it's secondary use of starving fire of oxygen, the small MOD issue green halon extinguishers were excellent for mouse extermination in the long Kesh towers  :innocent

I would hazard a guess the fire was in the roof void & the panels were assumed (the crews dynamic risk assessment would i expect say the panels are to be taken as a still live voltage) to be still live so yes the crew would have probably used CO2 to kill the flame them powder to smother ensuring no reignition, they would then have allowed somebody in to isolate the system.

I've seen one of our (older) experienced crews use both types of extinguisher at the same time with the nozzles close, this spreads the powder over a wider area & knocks over the flame pdq, very messy but effective.

probably a poor connection or damaged panel. Wouldn't hink there would be much to burn on a tin roof, bar a bit of cable insulation and plastic connectors / junction box on rear of panel.