Apprenticeship questions for older people

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrifymylife

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking of becoming an electrician but I'd appreciate it if some electricians and trainees could answer some questions and give some advice.

I'm 26 and I read that to become qualified you have to do a 4 year apprenticeship (Electrotechnical NVQ and C&G), but these are usually for those aged under 25, however there are adult apprenticeships available.

My questions:

Salary

I know there are organisations that some electrical contractors belong to and they have a set wage (JIB?) ECA?), but not all electrical companies belong to organisations.

Q: What would the salary range be for an adult apprentice for each year, 1 - 4.

example: year 1

Two personal questions:

1. Are you currently in employment?

2. Where abouts are you? (please fill in your location in your profile :) )

Feel free to reply to these here, in a Private message to me (PM) or not to asnwer them at all.

Regards,

Admin.

I quit my I.T job last September due to personal reasons and went travelling for a while. I have been unemployed since November.

I'm in the West Midlands England.

Hello electrifymylife, I am unable to offer an help to your problem, but I can say welcome to the forum and wish you all the best with sorting out your future career.

Doc H.

Hi mate. I have been away from the tools for some years now so have no idea what apprentices are paid these days. I will pass on one of the pearls passed to me whilst serving my time.

There's no substitute for experience.
Yes you can do night school and learn all the theory side of things - get your C&G etc. Then you need to go out there and get a job. First thing most employers will going to ask is..... "What kind of work have you done?"

I will be brutally honest here, if I was still contracting, I wouldn't employ anyone with paperwork and no actual proven skills.

What I did do at one point though was started a bloke who was in his 20's as a mate. (do they still have mates nowadays?) Fella worked all day, and did night school to get his C&G. Walked it in the end, and one of the best guys I have ever seen installing steel conduit.

That is maybe an alternative route for you to look at. Either way, good luck in your career change.

I have not looked much, but whenever I have found electrician's mate vacancies they always want experience.

I'm 25 and I was a mechanic for 6 years and hated it so got myself on a city and guilds course 2330 and NVQ level 3 at bury college. It was a fast track one so only took two years to get the city and guilds 2330 level 3 and am waiting for my NVQ to come through.

I was lucky to get taken on afew months into my course by a self employed spark I got in touch with through a builder I know.

The money was crap and still is (just completed my course) but things could be worse, at least ive got a job.

If you've got an interest in being an electrician then go for it, it's the best thing I've ever done career wise.

Hope this helps :)

I'm 25 and I was a mechanic for 6 years and hated it so got myself on a city and guilds course 2330 and NVQ level 3 at bury college. It was a fast track one so only took two years to get the city and guilds 2330 level 3 and am waiting for my NVQ to come through. I was lucky to get taken on afew months into my course by a self employed spark I got in touch with through a builder I know.

The money was crap and still is (just completed my course) but things could be worse, at least ive got a job.

If you've got an interest in being an electrician then go for it, it's the best thing I've ever done career wise.

Welcome to the forum

last activity from OP was feb!

I'm 25 and I was a mechanic for 6 years and hated it so got myself on a city and guilds course 2330 and NVQ level 3 at bury college. It was a fast track one so only took two years to get the city and guilds 2330 level 3 and am waiting for my NVQ to come through. I was lucky to get taken on afew months into my course by a self employed spark I got in touch with through a builder I know.

Hello Boltonsparky welcome to the forum. When I left school I wanted to be a mechanic but ended getting into electrics. I did have the chance to have an apprentiship as a mechanic but as I had got settled into doing electrics I missed the opportunity. You always think though what if you had took that route. Anyway thats enough waffling, stick it out even if the money is not good eventually things will get better.

Batty

Mechanic + electrician = lift engineer.

I'm not kidding. A lot of lift engineers are mechanics who changed trade.

Don't listen to Mr jl Heating he as a big nose and can not be taken serious lol.

What's the pay like and how do you get into it?
You phone up your local lift company and tell 'em you're interested in becoming a lift engineer. Try Otis, Kone, Schindler or TKE. They're the biggies. Pay is OK but depends on what part of the work you do. Installation, maintenance or repairs.

hello mate im 40 years old and just done my 2nd year was told my 3rd year makes me electrician id be happy if it does but still willing to go another year or 2 to get the job done you have to push it now a days im vincent northeast