Kitchen Modifications

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sm_carey

Reaction score
Hi, 

In my kitchen (well, not mine yet but hopefully will be if I get the house) I'm looking to do the following:

• move some sockets along the wall
  • add one or two more to the existing ring
  • add a couple of fused spurs (switched) for a couple of single sockets under the worktop (dishwasher/washing machine)
As I understand, Part P says this modification work is non-notifiable. My council website suggests it is notifiable and when I asked them 'which is it' they just said 'yes'!!

The kitchen is on its own ring, the wiring is all old colours.

What can I do myself and what certificates/notification do I need? This Part P/notifiable work seems to be a minefield of mis-information!

Thanks

Steve

You can do anything yourself if your compedant. All domestic work falls under the remit of Part P & BS7671 but only a few bits are notifiable under part P.

There is more to it than the info  you have  supplied, the type of supply (TT, TNCS etc)  are Rcd's present, is the current bonding up to the latest regs are just a few questions

It may cost you more to DIY and pay for the checks & part P notification rather than employ an electrician to do the whole job.

I don't know about the supply. The house is fitted with a modern CU though. The kitchen sockets are on on their own circuit with a 20A circuit breaker.

I'm assuming this is likely to be a radial circuit, rather than a ring but obviously not being in the house, I can't tell at the moment.

The kitchen is only about 3m x 3m

Thanks

I don't know about the supply. The house is fitted with a modern CU though. The kitchen sockets are on on their own circuit with a 20A circuit breaker.

I'm assuming this is likely to be a radial circuit, rather than a ring but obviously not being in the house, I can't tell at the moment.

The kitchen is only about 3m x 3m

Thanks
I would not add a dishwasher & washing machine onto a 20A kitchen circuit. You need a new circuit just for those 2 appliances.

I would say you need to get someone in.  If you cannot tell what the supply type is then I personally say you are not electrically competent enough to carry out these works.  Some may disagree with me but this is an open forum and I say this with only your safety in mind.