Stickin plugs on things

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive long since stopped sticking plugs on things as it rarely worked. Actually wiring them in made them work much more often :B

Cmon Duck, that's such a vague question you know you aren't going to get a sensible answer. Details man, we need details!

Ive long since stopped sticking plugs on things as it rarely worked. Actually wiring them in made them work much more often :B

Cmon Duck, that's such a vague question you know you aren't going to get a sensible answer. Details man, we need details!

who said I wanted a sensible answer? :lol:

Example: old Doris, 96 years old, lived in the property 60+ years, rewireable fuses, 2.5mm 7/.029(?)bonding, wiring in lead sheath /cloth -VIR / rubber, sockets in skirting boards yada yada.

Also has very little funds and no relatives to help out financialy.

needs a light on the porch so she can see her way safely to the front door.

:C

I have an ongoing job like this but have found a way round it.

Also the customer has the funds available to pay for the work but it's going to be a pig of a job and I can't help thinking a plug on a flex would be a whole lot easier!

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a job about a year  ago where the house needed rewiring but the customer would not do it, so the lighting in the ground floor rear bathroom, lobby, toilet & kitchen ( we had refurbished due to dry rot etc) got plugged into a socket in the bedroom with a Rcd plug. The bonding was ok as plumber had done it for a new boiler.

who said I wanted a sensible answer? :lol:

Example: old Doris, 96 years old, lived in the property 60+ years, rewireable fuses, 2.5mm 7/.029(?)bonding, wiring in lead sheath /cloth -VIR / rubber, sockets in skirting boards yada yada.

Also has very little funds and no relatives to help out financialy.

needs a light on the porch so she can see her way safely to the front door.

:C

I have an ongoing job like this but have found a way round it.

Also the customer has the funds available to pay for the work but it's going to be a pig of a job and I can't help thinking a plug on a flex would be a whole lot easier!
I'm thinking that if 96 yr old Doris needs a light but can't afford it and a simple option is a flex & plug  ( Now I understand Ducky's OP) then thats what its going to be .....sod  all the notifying carp and the Electric Police , Doris needs a light in the porch .

She,s been around since 1920 , there was no TV , central heating , fridges , freezers,  probably no electric in the house ,  yet another reccession in the 1930s ,    she,s come through World War 2, could've been bombed by Hitler , may have lost family , was around before atomic weapons,  before JFK was assassinated , before Martin Luther King made his "I have a dream " speech,  was here before Elvis , Rock n Roll, before men walked on the moon , before 9/11,  highly likely all her family have passed on now and she needs a porch light .

Sod the rules & regs , its  flex , a plug top, & a sensor light or whatever.............surely that can be done .

We had one similar some years ago , elderly lady , little money ....neighbour calls us ..... no leccy ... main switch burnt out on a 4 way Wylex  wooden rewirable board.       For some reason there was one in our store , good nick, sorted in 3 hours ,  promised to send her the bill but kept forgetting   .    OK   no RCDs , no bonding , no Electric Police,   just back as it was with plug-in MCBs added & heating back on .