How important is this ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced my browser with Google Chrome  because of constant problems with FF , however there is a warning showing that says ..." Google Chrome will not receive updates because XP & Vista are no longer supported"   

Is this something I should be bothered about ?     Chrome seems to be functioning better that FF at the moment . 

As another XP luddite. I have gone back to using Opera 12.18 as the last stable release before they ******** it up with the new version.  I now only fire up FF for the one or 2 websites that have problems with Opera 12.

Browsing is back to being fast, and trouble free  (save for those couple of sites that force me to use FF)

Remember you don't HAVE to use just one browser for everything.

Thanks ,   I tried Opera a few weeks ago , I think I posted about it,  it worked at a blistering pace I have to say but everything seemed to go haywire , seemed to be losing stuff  and dumped it in a panic.  

I also run XP and use either Opera, or Firefox. Both run fine for me. If you use older versions of browsers you're going to run into problems with some websites not to mention some of the plugins such as flash player might cause issues as well. Also browsers are regularly patched to close exploits so with older versions you won't be secure.

Re plug ins's. That was a constant issue with the latest version of firefiox. it just kept telling me it had disabled the outdated version of flash player, but when you checked for an update it said you have the latest version.

No such problems with my old version of Opera.......

I think your problems may all stem from you being on XP which is no longer supported. I'm thinking the latest versions of Firefox may not install on XP so firefox is telling you you have the latest possible update even though there are later versions available for other operating systems like Win7, Win8 etc. Then, in turn, the latest versions of the plugins aren't happy with your version of FF so they won't install and a lot of websites check you browser and plug-in versions and they also will start giving you nasty messages. Staying with XP is a fight you're not going to be able to win if you want to use that PC / laptop for internet browsing. I'm also at the stage where I'm going to reluctantly have to make the jump to Win7 or go with Linux. 

Zorin is great. Looks so much like Windows I still have an "Oh, this is new!" moment when I use Ubuntu (on which it's based), BUT it won't run AutoCAD. You can also switch between 2000, XP & 7 skins in the free version and even iOS, Unity & Gnome in the paid for one (<£10 I think). Someone on another forum was about to try AutoCAD on a VM under Linux Mint.

Zorin is great. Looks so much like Windows I still have an "Oh, this is new!" moment when I use Ubuntu (on which it's based), BUT it won't run AutoCAD. You can also switch between 2000, XP & 7 skins in the free version and even iOS, Unity & Gnome in the paid for one (<£10 I think). Someone on another forum was about to try AutoCAD on a VM under Linux Mint.
Is AutoCAD paid for,?

I have 4 different versions of Linux I could try it on,,, 

I run several different Linux distros on sme of my other PC's but I'm tied to Windows on others because of application compatability, AutoCAD being one of them. The other option is setting up VM's or dual boot but from experience it always gets messy and complicated so I'd rather avoid.