Garage Power

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengardener

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im going to install power in my garage and wanted to know if this set up is ok,

I have 3036 fuse type board TNCS and want to run 10mm swa to garage. I believe I should protect the swa with RCD protection before run. so it will go like this.

1) take feed from 3036 board in 10mm to new RCD protected 3rd amendment board beside old board.

2) connect swa to appropriate sized rcd in new board.

3) bury swa 600mm with warning tape

4) Connect other end of swa to non RCD protected fuse board in garage4) run

circuits x2 Lighting and sockets.

My reason is this. To provide rcd protection to the swa and circuits within the garage without discrimination issues by having rcd in garage as well. 

but obviously if any fault were to occur in the garage then all garage power would be knocked out.

would appreciate any advice on this set up

Many thanks

Why would you say it wouldnt need RCD Protection? I know the armour is there to protect the cable to a certain degree and it is buried 600mm for a portion of the run but it comes out of the main house at a high level and runs down the wall due to logistical limitations. Sorry to sound dumb as I would prefer to do the job correctly.

but what would you say would be the best approach.

Come off henley and RCD in garage?

Many thanks

Thanks a lot. Im going to come out of henley into switch fuse isolator and connect swa. Disregard RCD protection but rcd protect board in garage.

Many thanks
How you going to earth The garage,?

You do know that the DNO will not permit you to use their earth if its a TNCS system, as they are now all (allegedly) PME 

Sorry guys Im hoping to get somone to do it I just have an interest in such things with regards to the process. 

Apprentice87: The garage has no metal sticking out the roof is tiled and windows plastic framed double glazing.

Steptoe: No use of their earth??? Would a rod need to be used then?

Cheers guys

Your electrician will be able to provide a suitable earth @greengardener

But exporting a PME earth wasn't permissible by the DNO any time I've ever known. 

People do it, yes,

is it allowed, or even good practice, no.

Just because people do something, doesn't mean its right or safe.

Steptoe: thanks mate is that regards to if there was a break in the neutral conductor earth potential could rise ( sorry was just reading up a little) which obviously aint great lol!

Badger: Hi mate Im from London

I always wondered if the lawn mower needed rodding but as it's class II  I might just not bother...

Just let people get on with it, if they aren't going to get it done properly or are unable to understand the principles then let natural selection take care of it.

3856_beavis-and-butthead-shocked-skeleton-electricity.gif.fbe33791a5883e1f8742c399d4077969.gif

jaysus im grapes tired!

:coffee

Last edited by a moderator:
@steptoe how about suggesting a safe earthing system instead of just poking holes in this proposal????
I get your point Binky, but, imho, people learn better if they learn things themselves, rather than just get told what to do.

I'm not sure about the OP's motives, they seem to talk the talk, but can't walk the walk as it were.

Also, putting on my Admin hat for a moment, please be nice all as it is a brand new year & all that, plus the OP's email addy, kind of suggests that they may well be an "electrician "?