EV charger - installer wiring issue

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cougars14

Reaction score
I'm currently stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'm having a PodPoint EV charger installed by one of their 3rd party installers. As I didn't have any power in my garage, I had to feed power and have consumer unit installed. Whilst the electrician was preparing, he set up lights and sockets for me on a separate mains switch.
I've attached a file to show the images of different stages

My electrician is claiming the reason it was tripping is because the installer hadnt wired the neutral correctly but the installer is claiming the RCD for the sockets and lights needs to be changed to a type A even though I had a separate RCD type A solely put in for the EV charger. My electrician asked him why and the installer said it just needs to be.

PodPoints electrical requirements were (which we have installed)
  • A minimum of 6mm SWA 3-core cable supplying the sub-board from your house - 4mm is not sufficient.
  • Supply from main board to garage to be a minimum of 40A - this may need to be greater if you have many electrical components on the sub-board (i.e. a fridge or freezer etc).
  • Supply to the sub-board is either non RCD protected or protected by a Type A RCD.
  • A Spare 32A or 40A MCB available on sub-board which is either non RCD protected or is protected by a Type A RCD.

Anyone know who's right?

Attachments

• Prepared new install to my garage.pdf
    922.3 KB · Views: 4
Mixing different manufactures products in the same enclosure anyone...?

To me that just looks like a right heath-robinson arrangement..
Trying to create a sort of split load board out of a standard enclosure?

Why not just SWA into a bog-standard main switch...
feeding
2x RCBO's for local circuits..
1x MCB for EV charger?

It certainly wont work trying to use multiple RCD's with all neutrals on one common neutral bar?

Personally I would not consider that to be good workmanship with proper materials?
(134.1.1)