Garage power supply

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrissweety

Reaction score
Hi 

I am soon to be starting a small project at home. Converting a small shed into a usable utility room, planning on fitting a washer/dryer in there and a light.

Just wanted to know if I am required to supply a mini consumer unit directly from the house consumer unit? Or can I tap into a local ring main. I prefer to tap into the ring main as the house consumer unit is in the middle of the house and bring SWA in will be a pain.

Can anyone advise thanks 

When you say small shed, is this attached to the house?

If you connect into the ring main there is no way of doing it without fusing the entire shed/utility supply to 13A so this may cause issues with the load from the washer and dryer, so either way it sort of leads you towards a new circuit.

Hi lurch 

No the shed is about 5 meters away at the rear of the property. The ring I wanted to tap into is a 32amp circuit protected by a 30ma RCD. This currently supplies to the downstairs sockets and is where both currently where the dryer and washer are fed from. I plan to move these into the shed. 

If I tap into this ring and simply feed a double socket and a light, is this acceptable? As I'm not really increasing the load just relocating it in my opinion. This also could prevent me having to fit it's own mini cu for such a small load? 

Thanks

If I tap into this ring and simply feed a double socket and a light, is this acceptable?

No. This is the most basic of questions and a first year apprentice should already know the answer.

Last edited by a moderator: