DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Evans Electric

Third Party certifying ?

31 posts in this topic

Stroma do allowed 3rd party sign off but not part P notification....

As far as I know 3rd party sign off is only allowed in England, not Wales as Part P in Wales has not changed, unlike the English version.

There's differences between '3rd party sign off' and 'testing other peoples work' and 'notifying completed jobs', and variations/combinations thereof. Some are allowed under certain circumstances and some aren't, depending who you are registered with, which is totally clear and not confusing at all.

The problem as we all know is some people will sign off on anything, "nobody need know and it's an easy few quid". The trouble comes when months later something goes wrong, it all starts getting heavy and they're squirming on the hook, it's too late then to start denying that you wired the job, of course you're going to say that now that someone's dead and your stood in front of a group of men wearing funny wigs and long gowns.

One of the problems is that people don't understand our job," it's only a few wires" is the common cry, my old fella was one of the worst, "you're all so elitist you bloody electricians" was one of his favourites, one day I was doing something for him and decided to teach him a thing or two. I knew exactly what size cable etc to use but decided to make a show of it, lengths of run were calculated, as was method of installation, volt drop, earth loop, diversity and anything else I could think of. The big book was consulted, with numerous references to the relevant tables, the calculator came out, oh yes I made a proper show, when I had finished I turned to the old fella, " there you go dad, quite a bit of work involved in throwing in a few cables isn't there?

I never heard him call electricians elitist ever again.

Had another one today/this evening..............even closer than the last one. 11 doors close in fact.

Big extension " my sparks has hurt his hip, he did the first fix can you complete 2nd fix install a cu for the extension & sign off ?" he's missed the MEB's on first fix

Took a look.....................first fix not to my standards so said no. Why do people pull in T/E all kinked & full of twists along the run?

40 minutes ago, M107 said:

Why do people pull in T/E all kinked & full of twists along the run?

Was at a job the other day (doing nothing to do with the electrics as it happens) and someone had clipped a load of 2.5's up the skirting, keeping it nice and flat... but then at the ends it was twisted tighter than I have ever seen a cable be twisted. What is wrong with just pulling it off the drum nice and flat, especially if you know you will be clipping it on the surface?