Absolutely fuming

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil d

Reaction score
On Saturday we arrived home from a day out to find a letter from the housing association, it was to inform us that we need to have an asbestos check done, as, "During the last inspection, carried out 5 years ago, your property was identified as containing or strongly suspected of containing asbestos.To protect our workers and yourselves we need to check again to see if there is any change, failure to allow us to carry out these checks will prevent you from having any work carried out as we cannot expose our staff to un-necessary  risks"

Now hold on a minute, they are saying that their staff may be exposed to risk, what about us?

We were never told there was/could be asbestos in this property and my wife has lived here for over 30 years, indeed I myself have lived here for almost 20! I remember an asbestos survey being carried out about 5 years ago but was never told the outcome. Surely they should have informed me if they had discovered or had reason to believe that there was asbestos within the property?

I did the asbestos course a number of years ago, and distinctly remember being told that in certain situations, certain types of asbestos were safe so long as they were not disturbed. knowing that people carry out home improvements surely they should have told us about this, they seem more concerned about protecting their staff who may be in the property for a couple of hours, than a tenant who lives here permanently.

I'm going to ring them up in the morning and ask them for a copy of the previous report, if it isn't forthcoming then I feel a call to the HSE coming on.

"During the last inspection, carried out 5 years ago, your property was identified as containing or strongly suspected of containing asbestos.To protect our workers and yourselves we need to check again to see if there is any change,

you should write back advising them you have put asbestos containing artex on the ceilings, upgraded the pipe lagging to an asbestos version, you also replaced the kitchen floor with those white asbestos containing tiles and the pront proch now has as asbestos cement roof