Domestic Supply For Flats

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
18 months ago I purchased a commercial property for my IT business, The ground floor was absolutely perfect for us and we fitted it out to suit our needs. The back of the building at single storey level has been extended out by about 40 metres and the electric supply comes in at the rear of the property.
We have just gained planning permission for the upper 3 floors to be converted into flats, there are no services at all to the upper floors. Ideally I would to have meter boxes installed in the rear wall, one for each flat. Are there any limitations on how long a meter tail can be run, I'd like to have a consumer unit in each flat fed from their own individual meters.
I'm not going to be doing this work myself, all needs to be done and correctly signed off for the rental regs etc.
Any advice gratefully received and if any of you guys want some contract work on these three flats, get in touch.

This is the front of the property
IMG_9472.JPG

Inside the retail area
IMG_9476.JPG

The property from above, whole property outlined in yellow, flat area in blue and the incoming supply marked with a red arrow.
DJI_0184ann.jpg

A general view of the rear of the property.
IMG_8035.jpg

You might do better if you can have the service heads up at the flats too.

have you approached your dno about the supply ?

electric or gas heating ?

that's the way I would do it. Just bear in mind tennants are suppossed to have access to meters so they can check them themselves.
Thats what I'm trying to do, have external meter boxes on the outside wall at the back. Our incoming supply at the minute is 3 phase, 6000 kVA, we are requesting a downgrade to single phase 25 kVA, my thinking was the two phase disconnected could be used for the supplies to the flats, obviously the DNO would need to terminate the cable and add the service heads etc.

You might do better if you can have the service heads up at the flats too.
I thought the DNO's would prefer the service heads outside at ground level. Would we be allowed to run the cables up to the flats for the service heads to fitted up there or would the DNO insist on running the cable and charging extortionate amounts of money?

have you approached your dno about the supply ?
Not yet

electric or gas heating ?
It will be electric by heatpump throughout i.e. AC units

I thought the DNO's would prefer the service heads outside at ground level. Would we be allowed to run the cables up to the flats for the service heads to fitted up there or would the DNO insist on running the cable and charging extortionate amounts of money?

Not yet

It will be electric by heatpump throughout i.e. AC units

DNO will only bring supply into building. if you want meters in each flat then you'll need a large fuse panel and invidivual cables to each flat. additional service head there then meter. those heads usually have a red 'fuse' carrier (its just a solid link, no fuse). you'll then be a BNO (building network operator)

easiest option (and what vie work on more) is incoming DNO supply into large fuse panel, fuse per flat. then into meters all adjacent, to isolator / switch fuse then SWA to the individual flat. there all in the same locked cupboard however each flat has a key for access for meter readings etc

you can often also use the fuse in the distribution board as your overload / fault protection to the cables to the apartment so don't really need a switch fuse after the meters

DNO will only bring supply into building. if you want meters in each flat then you'll need a large fuse panel and invidivual cables to each flat. additional service head there then meter. those heads usually have a red 'fuse' carrier (its just a solid link, no fuse). you'll then be a BNO (building network operator)

easiest option (and what vie work on more) is incoming DNO supply into large fuse panel, fuse per flat. then into meters all adjacent, to isolator / switch fuse then SWA to the individual flat. there all in the same locked cupboard however each flat has a key for access for meter readings etc

you can often also use the fuse in the distribution board as your overload / fault protection to the cables to the apartment so don't really need a switch fuse after the meters
Thanks for that, I can see what needs to be done I think :)

I want to get away from all involvement in the electrical supply to flats, I want the tenants to be in direct contracts to the suppliers, keep me out of the loop of unpaid bills etc.

In that case I think you will find that it's the DNO that call the shots...get them involved early on
I will indeed, I've found Northern Powergrid very amenable chatting on the phone and very helpful. We've only just got planning permission, were now having architects do the detailed building regulation drawings, the building is also a Grade 2 listed Building so we have to comply with tradition throughout, I dont think we have to use rubber insulated cables, and 5 and 15 amp plugs though :)

18 months ago I purchased a commercial property for my IT business, The ground floor was absolutely perfect for us and we fitted it out to suit our needs. The back of the building at single storey level has been extended out by about 40 metres and the electric supply comes in at the rear of the property.
We have just gained planning permission for the upper 3 floors to be converted into flats, there are no services at all to the upper floors. Ideally I would to have meter boxes installed in the rear wall, one for each flat. Are there any limitations on how long a meter tail can be run, I'd like to have a consumer unit in each flat fed from their own individual meters.
I'm not going to be doing this work myself, all needs to be done and correctly signed off for the rental regs etc.
Any advice gratefully received and if any of you guys want some contract work on these three flats, get in touch.

This is the front of the property
View attachment 15825

Inside the retail area
View attachment 15826

The property from above, whole property outlined in yellow, flat area in blue and the incoming supply marked with a red arrow.
View attachment 15829

A general view of the rear of the property.
View attachment 15830
That is all truly, truly impressive!! You have done VERY well..

john..