Wiring Plan Help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adz

Reaction score
Hi,

I can draw a simple lighting plan and extend that to lights in sequence, but that's about all.

I'm trying to work out how to use 4 x 12 position rotary switches so that each switch turns on one LED bulb when turned to the correct position on the switch, but so that a 5th LED is lit when all four switches are in the correct position?

And also do I need to power all 4 circuits separately?

Thanks.

ADZ

Yip that's doable, I would just use 12V stuff, sounds much safer considering what you are up to.

I will do a drawing and add to this post.

Managed it, had to use 4 12V relays as well though, are you still interested? If so I will do a neater drawing later and post up?

OK Quick sketch attached.

4 Relays with bases, 4 rotary switches, 5 Lamps, 1 power source, all mounted in a nice box, jobs a good un, would probably take me an easy afternoon to make once all the parts were on my bench, not sure on your skill level or tools, but any questions just ask.

View attachment CCF11052018.pdf

Thanks roys. 

Still interested. Mistakingly thought replies would flag an email to me as they do on other forums, hence the delay.

Cannot view the pdf. I get an error code and reported to the administrators but I expect its due to not viewing it in a period of time.

I'll check in more often.

Glad to see that its at least possible.

Adz

What are you using as switches? If they are classic electronics wafer switches then could you use double pole ones? i.e. two wafers on each shaft rather then just one. If you can it becomes really easy  with no relays or anything. The other elegant solution involves electronic logic gates but is probably out of your comfort zone; (it's pretty dim in my memory now).

On further thought, ( and another glass of wine), I think it can be done with just the single pole switches.  

I'm assuming a low voltage supply, five LEDs and five resistors to suit the LEDs and supply voltage.

You will need to sketch this out:

Connect all the five resistors to the +ve  supply.

Connect the wiper of all four switches to the -ve supply.

Connect the + end of LEDs 1 - 4 each to the free end of one  of the resistors.

Connect the other end of each LED 1 - 4 to the "correct"  pole of their respective switches.

Connect all the "wrong" poles of all four switches together, and connect this to resistor number five and to the +ve of LED number five.

Finally, connect the -ve end of LED number five to the -ve supply.

I think that will do what you describe.

Richard I think there is confusion between you and Geoff1946 as the relay drawing is the one I drew.

Geoff1946, that is a good way to do it, I would have never of thought of doing that way, I always mentally seem to jump to using relay logic.😀

Many thanks to all.

Back to the library to understand it but thanks for your solutions.

ADZ